1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

70's P bass refin color options

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bullitproof, Jan 10, 2018.

1. bullitproof

bullitproof Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2015
    Boston
    Hey all, just picked up a 77 Precision recently and I'm going to have the J cavity closed and refinish the body in a solid Fender color.
    The bass has a maple fretboard with black pickguard.
    I'm leaning towards a light relic on it and already have someone in mind for the task, just need to decide the color.
    I would like to get your opinion on a Fender original color that would look good on it.
    If you have pictures, even better!
    Here's the bass:
    s-l1600. s-l1600. s-l1600.

2. alack

alack

Nov 20, 2000
    Florida
    My vote would be leave it as is and just rock it (tons of mojo there). But since you asked, the maple board and black guard scream out for black or a nicely yellowed olympic white.

3. bullitproof

Apr 17, 2015
    Boston
    This paint job was poorly done by the previous owner, he stripped the body and applied this from a spray can and I can’t stand pink, I also want to remove the J pickup so regardless it will need a refin.
    I definitely don’t want black as it’s the most offered color in left handed basses and I had enough, but aged white sounds really nice!

A. D. Fairhurst likes this.
  4. The correct shade of red from that era would be wine red. You don't see it too often so that would be my suggestion. Change that bridge while you're at it.

5. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    All of this in the same order of favorite ideas.

Leave it.

Black on black

Yellowed Oly

6. bullitproof

Apr 17, 2015
    Boston
    That bridge will be the first thing to be removed!

7. bullitproof

Apr 17, 2015
    Boston
    Option 3 sounds better!

8. RobTheRiot

RobTheRiot

Aug 31, 2016
    las Vegas, nv
    Nice score!!
    Being a P/J lover, I would leave it, but I understand bringing it back to original (plus no one asked, so I’ll zip it!)

I def agree the bridge needs to go!! What is that contraption?!

The pink doesn’t come out on my phone, it looked more red...yes, get rid of pink! Ha!
    I think some great suggestions have been made: the oly white (maybe aged?) or wine red could be really nice.
    I was about to suggest blonde so you could see a hint of the grain, but that wouldn’t cover up the patch. Oh well...

Let us know what you do!

bullitproof likes this.
  9. bullitproof

Apr 17, 2015
    Boston
    Thanks Rob!
    So far I agree with you guys that age OLY White or Red Wine would look god, my fave so far is Red Wine!
    CIMG6825.

10. Basshappi

Basshappi

Feb 12, 2007
    Tucson,AZ
    Hey Bullitproof, Nice score my friend, Congrats!
    If it were mine, given the choice between the two, I would go with Red Wine. I do like the Oly idea but the Red Wine would be more uncommon especially on a lefty.
    The black PG looks great and it is 70's correct.
    Looking forward to seeing the completed project. Are you going to do the work or send it out?

bullitproof likes this.
  11. bullitproof

Apr 17, 2015
    Boston
    Thanks!
    I’m sending it out!

12. 12BitSlab

12BitSlab Gold Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2016
    Dark Walnut

13. king_biscuit

king_biscuit Supporting Member

May 21, 2006
    US
    Black.

14. Color choices are so subjective. I’m assuming you want to go with a solid color? I see 77 P and I think antigua. :) It seems like 99% of them were either black, sunburst or natural.

15. BASSKADET

BASSKADET Gold Supporting Member

May 17, 2007
    NC
    Seafoam green

Remoman, donkeygrl, edencab and 3 others like this.
  16. McFarlin

McFarlin Supporting Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Sonic blue looks pretty great with black and maple. Was that used in the late 70s?

The red wine does look good.

Funky_Be likes this.
  17. I’ve never seen that bridge before. It looks like it weighs about 3 pounds. Changing it will likely change the overall balance.

RobTheRiot likes this.
  18. madbass6

madbass6 Banned

Jan 13, 2009
    I do not give consent to use any of my photos ! please respect that. thank you.
    I was going tom suggest the same (just leave it as is ) till you clarified it's already been refinished !if it was me I would go natural wood, black pick guard with a nice lite gloss finish ! and as others have said, get rid of that bridge wile you're at it! good luck!! keep us posted ..

bullitproof likes this.
  19. bullitproof

Apr 17, 2015
    Boston
    That's a good call too, but for now I'm sticking with wine red! :)

Low84 likes this.
  20. bullitproof

Apr 17, 2015
    Boston
    I already said here, that bridge is the first thing that's coming off... for good!