1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

70's P bass with string-through-body?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Boombass76, Oct 23, 2010.

1. Boombass76

Boombass76 Commercial User

Jul 1, 2008
    Denmark
    BassCollect Blog & Shop (founder)
    Hi, I just found this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/1973-1974-FENDER-PRECISION-BASS-/280577635401?pt=Guitar&hash=item4153baf449

I have owned quite a few 70's P-basses, but none of them had that type of bridge or string-through-body load.

I am not really looking to bid on this bass, but I was wondering if anybody knew if it was possible to order a P-bass with these specs back in the 70's? Or do you think that it was a homemade 'upgrade'? Or is it simply a fake body? It's pretty hard to tell as they don't provide any detailed pics of the body beneath the pickguard...

2. It's a sign. The other sign is that I cannot get the straight on shot to open showing the bridge, but that is not a Fender bridge from the thumbnail.

This one has been "circumsized", and therefore is still bid at $650 USD 3 days out.

EDIT: Got the pic to open. I am likely the least knowldgable around here as far as collectors items go, but that may be some sort of collector's bridge. Almost looks homemade! Rest of the bass seems unmolested.

3. Tommygunn

Tommygunn

Nov 8, 2008
    Houston, Tx
    Not a fender. Thats an old knockoff bridge from the 70's & 80's. Most famously used my hondo. My Olympic pbass has the same bridge, def not a bridge fender used.

Has staggered holes too, as far as I know, fender has always used inline holes.

4. throbgod13

throbgod13

Mar 26, 2005
    Texas
    unless the bridge was installed at a later date.. those bridges were very popular in the late 70s and early 80s..

5. Tommygunn

Tommygunn

Nov 8, 2008
    Houston, Tx
    basspics017.
    basspics020.
    basspics032.

Last one isnt very good cause its crooked, but it shoes the staggered holes