1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

70s Pbass Mashup possibility

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Personatech, Mar 29, 2013.

1. Fender Classic 70s Precision

34 vote(s)
    59.6%
  2. Fender FSR Antigua Precision

6 vote(s)
    10.5%
  3. Mashup: Antigua body with bound and blocked neck from Classic 70s

17 vote(s)
    29.8%
  1. OK, so I just traded off my 60th Anniv Pbass and am considering a less expensive alternative. The Squier CV is on the list but also is the Classic 70s (formerly MIJ, now MIM) with its sweet bound neck. I also dig the FSR Antiguas - always loved that finish.

While cruising eBay, I came across this body:

$T2eC16hHJIQE9qUHu0cHBRQ5U5JFYg~~60_57.

...and this neck:

$T2eC16NHJHYE9nzpcw70BRQhbcVhu!~~60_57.

Great match or too much to take in :D?

2. InternetAlias

InternetAlias

Dec 16, 2010
    Serbia
    Do it! That pickguard is fabulous :D

3. Awesome Sauce

Awesome Sauce Already tired tomorrow

Dec 21, 2011
    NW Chicago 'burbs
    I have the Antigua Jazz and was thinking something similar. My thoughts- maybe pearloid blocks? Though I have to admit the simplicity of the standard black dot neck is very classy.

Rob
    :bassist:

4. I LOVE my FSR Antigua P. I say go for it, it won't disappoint.

5. rolandm

rolandm In search of the lowest note.

Aug 8, 2010
    Peoria, IL
    Pull the trigger!

6. Do you even have to ask? In the words of Nike, Just Do It. Other brands are available of course. :p

7. tnicholson1138

tnicholson1138

Mar 12, 2013
    that's nice, i would go for it!

8. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    First of all make sure the neck fits the body. You said you wanted to go less expensive but all in all you are looking at around 750 or so from that Ebayer which is no deal.

9. StrangerDanger

StrangerDanger Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
    All Fender neck heels should be uniform and if he is buying off ebay then theres really no way to be sure. But I have yet to see a Fender neck (P or J) that wont fit on a Fender body (P or J).

10. banikek

banikek

Sep 14, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    I say put it together. I like the Antigua paint job but the matching pickguard always seems like overkill. I say try it with a black pickguard and see what it looks like.

11. JimB52

JimB52 User Supporting Member

May 24, 2007
    East Coast
    I put together a similar bass from eBay parts (2001 50th Anniversay of the Precision and a 1972 Jazz neck), and it's great, despite a neck pocket gap.

attachment.
    attachment.

12. Actually, I've messaged the seller with questions about a package deal price, total weight, and fit of neck in pocket (the same seller has both the body and the neck). That was two days ago and, to date, I've had no response. :meh: In the meantime, the price has gone up since the items were originally on eBay sale which hs since expired.

In other words, I'm beginning to have my doubts about the seller. Shame. It's a cool idea, though.

13. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    That seller is notorious for not answering messages. Most of what he sells is priced at retail or above.....

14. godblender

godblender Banned

Mar 11, 2009
    Michigan
    I have one of those 70's P necks (MIJ version) on a US Standard body and absolutely love it...easily one of, if not the, best necks I've played. Plus they look great.