1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

70's Peavey 400 bass head/ kustom 2x15 cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by xJACKx, Sep 30, 2008.

1. xJACKx

xJACKx

Sep 30, 2008
    Would this be a good set up. I am not a very experienced bass player. But, a local pawn shop has had these just sitting around for months. I talked to the guy today and I think I can get them for about 200. Sounds like a pretty good deal right? But i was wondering how these things hold up since they are from the 70's. I gig with my band locally and out of town regularly and will be more than likely using this set up for a while if I get it. Right now I am using a friends set up at the moment which is a Behringer BX4500H Ultrabass Head through a Hartke 4x10 cab. And then the bass I play is a SX SJMB-62 3/4 Short Scale 3TS from rondomusic.com. So I dont have the best set up and am just playing bass in this band for fun. Just looking for a cheap set up that I can call my own. Thanks for the help. Also, I am new on this board so HELLO :D

Cab looks just like this with a few rips but not bad.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Kustom-Guitar-B...ryZ10171QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

2. LesS

LesS

Mar 3, 2006
    no longer a member
    The Kustom 2x15 cabinets are very good for bass.
    I would suggest playing through it before you buy it to make sure that the speakers are good.

3. xJACKx

xJACKx

Sep 30, 2008
    Yeah, i am planning on doing that later this week. Thanks for the input.

4. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Be very careful about that Peavey head - those old original Peavey amps were notorious for having problems. Like LesS said, play before you pay - and on the amp, check tweak EVERY knob on it - twist it and list for noise. If you're looking at the type of head I'm thinking of, it was black with many silver nobs and lots of sliver writing, yes? Like this pic:

http://www.broadway-music.com/catg/CON412000049887.html

I've read some folks like these old things, but back then they were considered bad amps that only po-folks would buy. They also, as I recall, required 2 ohm cabs to meet their advertised output - and something tells me that that Kustom cab is NOT a 2 ohm cab...

5. xJACKx

xJACKx

Sep 30, 2008
    Yep thats the head. I am going to deff. play it before I buy anything. And the head was actually just kind of an add on I originally just wanted the cab. So im taking the head im using now to play through the cab as well. Thanks very much for the info.

6. xJACKx

xJACKx

Sep 30, 2008
    bump bump bump

7. xJACKx

xJACKx

Sep 30, 2008
    BUMP

Does anybody have anymore info on these cabs? I am planning on getting the cab now and not getting the head.

BUMP BUMP BUMP

8. LesS

LesS

Mar 3, 2006
    no longer a member
    I think you will like the cabinet.
    A lot of bass players have played through 2x15 cabs.
    Just make sure that you play through it before buying it.
    What amp with you be using it with?
    Can you attach a picture?
    The main thing is what condition it is in and what speakers are in it.
    A lot of the old Kustom 2x15 cabs had CTS speakers which are fine for bass - but it could have Jensens, JBL's, Altecs, Eminence, etc.
    The weight with CTS's is about 90 lbs.
    For more info go to VintageKustom.com
    -LesS

9. xJACKx

xJACKx

Sep 30, 2008
    Yeah, im going to play through it the next time I go up there. The head Im playing through right now is a Behringer BX4500H Ultrabass Bass Head, And the bass I have is a SX SJMB-62 3/4 Short Scale 3TS. So not the best gear but it gets the job done for the band I am in now. I dont have a pic of it but it looks fine with just a few rips on it here and there. I am hoping they well sell it to me for 100. I am not sure what speakers are in it but i will find out when I go to play it next. Thanks for the info and the website.