70's Punk Box Set

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Headroom, Oct 17, 2003.

1. Headroom

Apr 5, 2002
  2. rwagne2

Aug 2, 2001
  3. Seems great, however it's kind of funny that they have Blondie, The Pretenders and The Cure ("Boys Don't Cry"?) but no MC5. Yeah. Probably a licensing issue.

You know what would have been amazing but highly unlikely? If they had anything by Cocksparr.
  4. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

No MC5, and no Stooges. More like a generation thing. Being that they were a decade apart no matter how big the influence.
    Heck, no "Sonic's Rendezvous Band", or "Destroy all Monsters" either. They're about all that came outta Detroit at that time on vinyl.
    The other thing I noticed was homage to both the New York Dolls and Johnny Thunders/Heartbreakers, & songs from both bands/performers a few years apart as well.

X-Ray Specs and Richard Hell have other very fine, fun tunes that could be on there. The same with Siouxsee.
    The Joe Jackson tune was really a "cross-over" hit and pretty common. Not much novelty to me there.

But what the heck, it's a start.
  5. is there a track list somewhere?

i'm always leary of these punk sets. they always seem to leave out any good Oi! bands. but, if you're looking for that stuff, check out Captain Oi! records. good label for that junk.
  6. It's definately comprehensive. My only complaint is there aren't any Angelic Upstarts tracks (at least I didn't see any).

Still, I'd much rather get the individual albums; Rhino is broad, but they're not deep. Though I suppose it's a good sampler.
  7. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

The party's always better when you can play the whole record of whatever it is.
    "Punk's Greatest Hits". Kinda funny:)
  8. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN

9. ::coughs::

Search And Destroy - Iggy & The Stooges

"honey i'm the world's forgotten boy"