1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

70's Reissue, Highway one, or Geddy Lee

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MarZel, Apr 5, 2009.

1. MarZel

MarZel

May 20, 2007
    Essex, England
    After a jazz, cant decide!!!! Any help? Thanks :)

2. 70's reissue -thicker neck, 70's pickup placement, blocked and bound necks
    Highway one - Very thin dullish finish, rosewood only necks
    Geddy Lee - gloss, very thin neck, only in black, 70's placement, maple neck with blocks

:D

3. Valerus

Valerus

Aug 4, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Aka 70's v. Geddy.

4. fenwickbacker

fenwickbacker

Jun 12, 2004
    New Orleans
    Geddy

5. MarZel

MarZel

May 20, 2007
    Essex, England
    hmm, skip the highway..... i have played the 70's and i really liked it, just wondering if the geddy is worth the extra money??

6. The Geddy has, I believe, USA pickups and a Badass II bridge, which may help to justify the extra cost. The Geddy also has that good CIJ quality, but the Mexican '70s model also seems to have high-quality workmanship.
    A word to the wise: Be sure you like the Geddy's ultra-thin neck before you buy one.

7. Mr. Ray

Mr. Ray

Feb 20, 2009
    Canada
    Hi I've owned the Mex 70's and I have a Geddy. I sold the 70's I didn't really like the neck it feels chunky more like a "u" shape contour. The 70's does have a built in grind/growl. I just like the sound and the playability of the Geddy better. The Geddy does have a thinner than average J neck. Play as many basses as you can. The Lakland Daryl Jones is another option...that's on my list. Hope this helps.

8. We're talkin' the MIM Classic Series '70s, right?
    If so, that one.. Or the MIM Classic Series '60s - Even better bass.. I just got one for myself! :p

9. I played 2 of the 70's mim's..at gc for about an hour. Both could use a set up, but they were passable as players.. Although nether were in the ballpark of the Geddylee. Ive played one for a year now, evey weekend. Great sound, super fast neck, with thin profile. The 70's have differant profile neck. Play both , at a guitar store, see which you like.

With the Geddy's so high new, search used, pick one up in the $500-700 range.. Also, if you look around you can pick up an American standard, discounted, for less than the Geddy is new. Or some times you can find a deal on a Geddy. Our local G.C, had one for $949 one day only.. Id pay that for one if I needed to replace mine, and you can bet I would if needed.

I cant comment on the Highway 1, I havent played seen or nor own one..

My order is.. Used American standard..or discounted one..
    Used Geddy.. or discounted one.
    The 70's 'J' was good, but not as good as the above mentioned..That being said, I might get one myself, to mess around with.

Play, em.. hope this is helpful.

P.S. I just looked on E-ba... and found 7 Geddy Lee J Basses. Ranging from, buy it now, $699-$1000...Theres one for $749..another for $750. also.

10. there's a killer deal on an American 75' RI in the classifieds right now! :D:bag:

11. Valerus

Valerus

Aug 4, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    I'm selling my '75 RI Jazz and I'm really thinking about buying a Sunburst '70s reissue Mexican.

Has anyone compared the neck on a CIJ '75 RI to a new MIM '70's jazz?

12. The neck on the 70's reissue is identical in feel to the Marcus Miller and Jaguar basses

13. Valerus

Valerus

Aug 4, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    oh, cool! I'm fine with those. I like the MM feel but it's not for me.

Should I snag one of these for $700 shipped?
    I really need to sell my CIJ...

14. gjbassist

gjbassist Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2005
    Kansas City, MO
    Geddy. But buy a used one as you will get a much better deal.

15. That is why I bought one. I love my HWY 1. Its already starting to wear down to the wood and I have since upgraded it with USA tuners, pickups, vintage bridge. It is essentially 100% American now and should give the high dollar American Vintage reissues a run for their money.

16. elgranluis

elgranluis

Feb 14, 2003
    El paso, TX
    the highway 1 necks are very flat front to back, like the 60s fender necks. The 70s necks (at least all ive had) are thicker front to back than what a highway 1 is. So, the geddy should be the thinnest, the highway 1 should be slightly larger than the geddy, and the 70s RI would be a normal neck.

I'd go for the MIM, I love RW on sunburst.

17. Valerus

Valerus

Aug 4, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    That's what I'm thinking. And that pearloid looks greatttt

18. tdizzle

tdizzle

Aug 3, 2009
    Detroit, MI
    I had a Geddy, I have a Highway1, and I am furiously trying to figure out a way to get the MIM 70s.

The Geddy was a fantastic work horse bass, and a nice meaty slap machine. The new sunburst looks killer, that my sway me in that direction. More modern 9.5 or 10 inch radius (flatter) fretboard.

Pass on the Hwy 1, unless you're really into the Jaco bridge pickup sound. That is where that bass stands out. It is rather lack luster with both pickups on.

I adore the 70s MIM, even more than my real 73. It does have that thicker neck profile, but I think a great deal of the sound characteristic comes from that, and it is truer to a 70s Jazz Bass. I love the 7.25 inch radius fretboard, just like the old days. Also has that grindy, dirty fuzz sound to it if that is your thing.

19. Double Agent

Double Agent Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    Of those 3, I prefer the MIM 70s Jazz Bass. They are some of the nicest playing, best sounding basses Fender is putting out these days. I've played several in various music stores and haven't played a lemon yet, they all felt and sounded consistently great. At their price point, I can't think of anything I like better.