1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

70's Sound City and Sadowsky Preamp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Tojo7, Apr 6, 2009.

1. Tojo7

Tojo7

Jul 17, 2006
    Portugal
    Hey guys, so here's the deal:

I have an Orange 4x10 and a Ashdown Solid State head that's been giving me nothing but trouble :(
    A friend of mine as a Sound City Custom Built L100 Mark III guitar amp head that he could loan me, as long as I take it to a tech to do a full check up and put in new tubes.
    The thing is, it's a guitar amp head that has a passive preamp section, and probably won't give me the low end I need. I was thinking of buying a Sad Preamp/DI so that way I can give a cool sound directly to the mixer, combined with the distorted sound of the SC, captured by mic. That's the kind of sound I want, full lows with a distorted sound on top :)

So, do you think it's a cool thing to do? It would certainly look cool, the SC on top of the Orange 4x10 :bassist:

2. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    before you add a preamp to it, i would first try it as it is. IMO, soundcity guitar and bass amps have great tone in their stock form. there isn't a lot of difference between their guit/bass amps either (kinda like Marshall). i have a SoundCity 150 Bass and i love it.

SC150B-1-w.

3. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Sound City amps have high quality transformers (Partridge, IIRC) and that's a big part of the tone. The amp will probably sound pretty darn good on bass. I routinely use guitar amps in the studio (Marshall Plexis, Twins, etc) because they add great character to the the sound. Mixing that with a DI signal can sound amazing.

4. Tojo7

Tojo7

Jul 17, 2006
    Portugal
    Yes, thanks, that's what I was thinking, trying the amp solo and then if there isn't enough low end I would add the Preamp.
    I'm just a little afraid that it's going to distort too soon. But nothing like trying it :)
    Just have to wait for the tech now!