1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

70's style jazz bass GAS

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by nls666, Dec 10, 2006.

1. Real Vintage 70ties Fender Jazz Bass

46 vote(s)
    36.2%
  2. Fender American Vintage 75 Jazz Bass reissue

33 vote(s)
    26.0%
  3. Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass

18 vote(s)
    14.2%
  4. Fender Marcus Miller Jazz Bass

17 vote(s)
    13.4%
  5. Other

13 vote(s)
    10.2%
  1. nls666

nls666

Jul 31, 2005
    The Netherlands
    ...Small Dilemma. I'm not very satisfied with my two Fender Jazz Basses...
    At the moment I have the following Jazz Basses:
    -Standard Jazz MIM w/ Bad Ass II bridge
    -Aerodyne Jazz CIJ (P/J set up)

I really like the Aerodyne, it's a well build bass. Plays very good and looks very nice, but I'm not sure I like the Jazz/Precision pick up set up. I like the real jazz set up better. The MIM Standard Jazz is OK, but it just lacks something...

So now I'm GASsing for a well build, quality Fender Jazz bass, 70's style (w maple neck and block inlay).
    I narrowed it down to the following options:

Sell both my current Jazzes and buy:
    -A real vintage 70's jazz bass. These are very hard to find and very expensive, but the real thing!
    -American Vintage '75 Jazz Reissue. Should also be very well build, looks nice, but also expensive.

Sell just my MIM Standard Jazz and buy:
    -Fender Geddy Lee Jazz bass. Tried it and I really liked it, but is it as good as an American made one? Not so expensive, but no case included :(
    -Fender Marcus Miller Jazz Bass. I don't know if I will like this one, it's active (w/passive switch?) with not the traditional tone controls and I don't like the looks of it very much (pickguard:meh: )

Please share me your opinions.
    thnx.

2. Ostinato

Ostinato Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Toronto ON
  3. arjosy

arjosy

Jan 4, 2006
    New Joisey
    Go for the Geddy. It's a great bass and a great value. Cases are pretty cheap.

4. Rano Bass

Rano Bass

Sep 9, 2006
    Tijuana Mex.
    The 75 reissue is the safer option, but the Geddy and the Marcus are very good basses for the price. IMO.

5. Ty_Boogie

Ty_Boogie Bass, A way of life

Sep 6, 2004
    Troy, NY
    one of each.............:hyper:

6. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    I own all three! :cool: DSC01010.

7. Wademeister63

Wademeister63

Aug 30, 2004
    Denton Tx
    What's missing for your MIM?

A while back I had bad GAS for something similar to what you describe, except rosewood fingerboard. I couldn't find a stock Fender that was quite what I wanted and ended up getting a frankenjazz with the right style Allparts neck. When I bought the bass, I thought I'd settle for something a bit less than a real Fender neck. I never expected a "licensed copy" to be such a GREAT neck, but it is phenomenal. I have changed things on the bass but this neck makes my bass dreams come true.

Unless you are just not happy with your basses and want to get rid of them for the sake of change, I'd suggest checking out an Allparts neck like this one on Ebay. I've heard that the Mighty Mites aren't as good and that the Warmoth necks are chunkier. I haven't tried them myself, and I won't since mine is THE ONE for me.

I'm a real DIY guy though, and if I weren't I'd probably go with the Geddy. I've heard so much good about them and they do look great for sure. I'm with you on the Marcus Miller bass too. Don't care for the pickguard at all on that one.

EDIT: You may want to check out the big Fender Japan thread, I haven't read through that one yet. From what I've seen recently though, you may be able to get what you want through Ishibashi. Their site has a ton of great looking basses I haven't seen before.

8. Rano Bass

Rano Bass

Sep 9, 2006
    Tijuana Mex.
    Which one of those three do you prefer BTW?

9. Yeah, that's way out of his budget.

I would say go for the Geddy J if you liked it. Most people will tell you that the quality of the made-in-Japan Fenders meets or exceeds that of the MIAs (BTW, the Marcus Miller is also MIJ).

10. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    The CAR 75RI by far!:D

11. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger Commercial User

Sep 22, 2005
    Not Mars
    The Overlord of Nordstrand Pickups
    Lakland :)

12. bassic_element

bassic_element

Sep 20, 2006
    Man you cant go wrong with this one, I have owned the Geddy Lee, American Standard J Bass, Victor Bailey Signature, and played an American Deluxe. Currently I own the 75 Reissue and I love it to death, it feels and sounds better than the MIJ ones IMO. I'll say if you can find a MIA RI a used one, dont let it go!

13. Crockettnj

Crockettnj

Sep 2, 2005
    North NJ
    KSD proto J?

14. i know you want the 70s style, but i'd definetaly say try a '62 reissue. if that's not your thing, try the geddy lee or real 70s.
    [​IMG]

15. maybe even a sadowsky or avella-koppolo (i think that's how you spell it)

16. i've got a MIA '75 RI and i love it. Great bass, excellent build quality, great tone, it's a winner. It gets my vote.

17. reissue is awesome, but so is KSD, love'em, 75 Jazz with a modern twist!!!

18. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

The Jaguar Bass, in my opinion, is a 70s style Jazz Bass. It has the 70s Jazz pickup spacing and pearl block inlays. That's pretty much what makes a 70s Jazz bass a 70s Jazz bass. Although one can argue that it is not even a Jazz bass in the first place.

19. nls666

nls666

Jul 31, 2005
    The Netherlands
    It plays quite well, but it lacks punch. It (wood/neck) also feels a little bit cheap...:bag: So maybe a change of the just the neck is something to consider, but I'm not very DIY...

My local shop stocks both the Geddy and the American 75RI. I think it will be between those two. The Geddy is half the price of the 75RI, does the quality difference do justice to the huge price difference? Also, if I buy the 75RI I probably need to sell both my current jazz basses to finance it :(. If I buy the Geddy just need to sell the MIM Jazz.
    Anyways, I'm going to try them both this week...

Thanks

20. Basshole

Basshole Banned

Jan 28, 2005
    It's got the look, and an updated version of the vintage sound that makes it even better. GREAT bass. Own 2.