1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

'70s style jazz bass help!!

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by RigityRyan, Apr 5, 2009.

1. RigityRyan

RigityRyan

Apr 5, 2009
    I just ordered of these and i wanted to install a badass 2 bridge and toss the saddle bridge. would you recommend this considering that the bridge pickup is moved further back on the 70's models???

Help me out!

Thanks

2. I don't have any personal experience with that mod, but I think Geddy Lee did it on his early '70s Jazz (the famous black / maple one). I'd say he's been pretty successful with it.

3. southernrocker

southernrocker Banned

Apr 4, 2009
    Calm down man, I just installed one on my Jazz Bass last week! It's a direct replacement designed for Fenders. Your pickup should be fine where it's at. If you didn't get a pre-slotted badass, your gonna have to file it. It's really easy, and you can make the saddles perfect for you bass. Sit down and count to ten, everything will be alright!

4. J. Crawford

J. Crawford Supporting Member

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    Its just going to be a Geddy without the Geddy neck, and a different color.

Im all for it. I love my Gedz.

5. gnome01

gnome01

Oct 30, 2001
    Bronx NY, USA
    I have 2 actual 70's J basses, both have the badass bridge with slotted saddles and they work great. Since each saddle has 4 slots I've never had a problem getting good string alignment and it saves some work (I'm not all that mechanically inclined:p).

6. RigityRyan

RigityRyan

Apr 5, 2009
    hey thanks guys