1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

70's style Sadowsky jazz for fingerstyle only?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Kurisu, May 11, 2006.

1. Kurisu

Kurisu

Nov 19, 2003
    Saskatoon SK
    The concensus seems to be that to get a Marcus style slap tone you need a 70's pickup position. But what if you never (ever) slap? Is there any reason to get a 70's over a 60's style jazz?

I'm trying to decide between a Sadowsky UV70-RW5 and a RV5. I like a deep woody tone, and will probably play with the blend heavily towards the neck pickup. (Sometimes I want a Geddy tone, but I have a feeling a 60's style placement + pick/fingernail will get me as close as I would want... Right?)

Is it silly to want the UV70 simply because it's frakken gorgeous??? Or in the end it really doesn't matter that much and I should get what looks the best? :help: :D

2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I don't see why you couldn't buy a 1970's Sadowsky for fingerstyle. Heck, Bovinehost loves Stingrays and doesn't slap. Buy the bass and play it like you want to.

3. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    No reason not to. I'm a fingerstyle player 99.9 percent of the time, and I'd love a UV Sadowsky.

4. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I play 80% fingerstyle, 15% pick, 5% slap ... and I love my UV70 for all of it!

Has a lot more bite than the RV5 I used to have, but isn't as thick n' rich sounding.

Both are amazing.

5. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI

You'll love the UV's. There is a black one for sale on ebay by Nino. It was mine first. it's awesome and only weighs 8.8lbs

Rob

6. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    i own a fender '75 RI jazz with the 70's pickup placement. i ONLY play fingerstyle too. its great man, it helps to cut throught the mix more. a little more punch to it. get the 70's sadowsky.

7. i too only play fingerstyle and prefer the 70's spacing for that reason - it doesn't interfere with my plucking hand. my Geddy bass is really comfy on my right hand, but i may unload my 2000 MIA jazz due to the pickup spacing...

8. RudeMood

RudeMood

Nov 7, 2004
    Austin, TX
    I play fingerstyle funk/Motown/rock and use a Sadowsky RV4 with single coils - I never slap. It has an agressive bite to it, but with the VTC I can dial in some pretty thick, bassy tones. I actually have the VTC up almost full most of the time.

9. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Get what you really want. Just because you can slap it, doesn't mean you have to...

MM

10. Kurisu

Kurisu

Nov 19, 2003
    Saskatoon SK
    I guess what I'm worried about is this: does the 70's placement of the pickup make fingerstyle too "thin" sounding?

But I'm definately leaning towards the binding and blocks...

11. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.
    Banned by TB Administration for refusal to account for funds

NO! It is about a 1/2 inch further back. No big deal. If you find it to bridge heavy then roll forward more to the neck pickup.

I have played a UV5 and thought it was very nice.

12. mgbass

mgbass

Mar 31, 2004
    Northern KY
    I have had both in 5 stringers, I prefer the regular (60's) position. I thought the RV's had a bigger, fuller sound.

Both are excellent bass's, and this is just my opinion, with the RV you can roll the blend towards the back pick-up if you really want to dig in for that 70's sound, that said you can do the same with the UV if you roll the blend toward the neck position you can get the fuller sound you are looking for.

It basically comes down to look and weight, in some cases the 70's models are a bit heavier than the 60's models.

So....its all about what you want it to look like, either bass will kill it !!!!
    Good luck
    MG

13. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I have a Marcus Miller bass, which is similar to what I think you are describing, and understand your question pretty well - it's one I was wondering for a long time as well before I bought my bass!

Some days it sounds really great, and some days it does sound kind of thin. I actually found that leaving my amp eq flat (and putting it on the acoustic 360 setting) gives me the best fingerstyle tone. With a very bright bass like that I jumped the gun and started eqing it like crazy before I realized that it sounded fine just on its own.

14. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

Sadowsky's play very well with some nice fingerstyle, thats how I allways play mine.

15. Kurisu

Kurisu

Nov 19, 2003
    Saskatoon SK
    Hey Cheeze,

You have a Darryl Jones, right? Do you ever find it a bit thin sounding? What is your pickup blend usually set at?

16. bass_drum

bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Alberta,Canada
    Whats the difference is the pickup placement between the 60's, 70's and current jazz basses?

17. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I usually run the pickup right in the center. I dont find it thin at all.

18. bass_drum

bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Alberta,Canada

Anybody?

19. Kurisu

Kurisu

Nov 19, 2003
    Saskatoon SK
    From what I've read here, the 70's bridge pickup is a 1/2" closer to the bridge.

20. IMO, if you want a fat fingerstyle tone, alder/rosewood is the way to go. I play mostly fingerstyle and I had a 70's jazz bass, and I didn't dig the sound. It didn't have the same thick low mids.