Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

70s SVT help!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jgrotto, Jan 27, 2006.

1. jgrotto

jgrotto

Nov 29, 2005
    Boston
    Aight. Is it a good idea to bid on a 70s SVT:
    1) that has no tubes
    2) that has no explanation of why it's lacking its tubes
    3) and, in the seller's words: "The fan in the back does turn on when the power switch is turned on so I would guess that the amp will work if it has tubes put in."?

I'm imagining that it'll sell for way cheaper than usual given it's dysfunctional state. Bargain? Or will I be cursed with the need for extensive and costly repairs... so much so that getting it on the cheap might not be worth it? I'm figgering it's an early-mid 70s model.

[And don't steal my amp out from under me, thieves!]

2. 8mmOD

8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    USA
    I endorse & use Tech 21 pedals, Eminence loaded cabs, EMG pickups, Jim Dunlop picks & Ernie Ball Strings, BC Rich Basses.
    1) are you an amp tech?
    2) are you really good friends with an amp tech?

if you answered no to both of these questions, you have my answer

3. Don't bid a penny more than $100.

4. IMO, if you're asking strangers on the internet these questions, you should not bid on this amp.

-Nick

5. jgrotto

jgrotto

Nov 29, 2005
    Boston
    And here I was thinking that's exactly what an online forum is.

I'm not opposed to sinking money and time into this, in fact I consider it a learning experience. My worry is that I'll spend more money repairing a bad amp than I would buying a good amp. And since I have no experience in this type of thing, I'd like to hear what others have to say.

Opinions are like assholes. And talkbass sho' does have a lot of both. ;)

6. tadawson

tadawson

Aug 24, 2005
    Lewisville, TX
    So much for that idea - it is already over $600 . . . .

- Tim

7. WalterBush

WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    Completely retubing a vintage SVT is a costly repair, unless you have a stockpile layin' around. The main thing I'd worry about is whether the transformers are blown, though. That's hideously expensuive to fix, and the fan coming on doesn't tell you a thing. You pays yer money and ya takes yer chances.

Having said that, if I wasn't broke, I'd be bidding instead of typing, and figure on learning a lot about SVT repair in the process, but then, I've got a little experience repairing tube amps :)

8. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Take a look at some of Tim Cole's recent SVT related threads...it should scare you off from this amp pretty quick, especially if you're not a doityerselfer or know a good tech.

9. I just checked out the auction. It is the one in CT, right?

Bid's already over $600. Add shipping and the cost to install what is obviously missing and you're easily over $1000. And by the looks of the bidding, the final bid could be north of $750.

Someone could get a nasty surprise. Do you want to risk that kind of money to see what it might be?

IMO, it's smarter to put that kind of money towards a known functioning SVT.

10. jgrotto

jgrotto

Nov 29, 2005
    Boston
    Heh. Yeah I saw some quotes on that Ampeg SVT-VR thread. That's definitely not helping subdue my skepticism.

There's a great amp tech fella outside of Boston @ Aztech that I've gone to with SS gear. And everyone I know with tube equipment brings stuff to him for repairs and mods. I have complete faith that if there's a way to fix it, he could do it. But at what cost? [Insert sinister music.] And how often?

Plus I think Mr. Cole has tapped the bad luck well dry- done gone used up all the bad jujus. It's smooth sailing from here.:D

11. jgrotto

jgrotto

Nov 29, 2005
    Boston
    That's the one.

Since I'm only a couple hours away from the seller, I would likely pick it up. Save $85 on shipping. (Spend $20 on gas...:crying:)

Since I've got all this time and patience for repairs, maybe I could just be patient and wait for a properly functioning SVT.

But it could be the deal of the century.

Is this how compulsive gamblers feel?

12. 8mmOD

8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    USA
    I endorse & use Tech 21 pedals, Eminence loaded cabs, EMG pickups, Jim Dunlop picks & Ernie Ball Strings, BC Rich Basses.
    seriously, dont do it. forget about the tubes, the trasformer/s could be toast & you'd end up with a very expensive paperweight. That descrip is like saying "the interior light of the car turns on, but theres no gas in it. so i'd guess it would work fine if you gassed it up" i'm keeping my eye on it to see the closing price. but $600+ on a crap shoot is nuts IMO

13. jgrotto

jgrotto

Nov 29, 2005
    Boston
    I appreciate the advice. I think I'll be holding out and waiting for something better. In the meantime I've still got a great amp that I'm happy with and I'm $600+ the richer.
    Thanks for all the help.

14. THB_bassman

THB_bassman

Oct 11, 2005
    socal
    There's any number of reasons it might be missing the tubes. It's a pawn shop -or something- that has it...maybe the owner was in the middle of fixing it up, and got divorced, maybe, bla bla bla, but the truth is you just don't know. You might pop the tubes in and set it up and it'd work great for 10 years.

Or not.

I'm not a gambler myself, but I think this might be a gamble. I'd bet the guy who wins it has already got one or two, and is looking for a parts one...maybe a tech himself who can make it good then turn it over for some fast money.
    No way to know.
    But it's tempting, ain't it? Under a grand?

I do agree that for a person without the tech background, it's probably best to get a "known good" SVT.

15. jgrotto

jgrotto

Nov 29, 2005
    Boston
    Actually, the current high bidder just bought a prisitine blue line, so you might be right about it being used for parts. Or just a fixer upper.

That's what's getting me. Under a grand? And what if it f****** works perfectly?!?

Me too. I've got time. I'll hold out. And just hope the prices don't get too much higher than they already are.

And you can bet I'm gonna e-mail the winner and have him/her let me know how it works out.

16. THB_bassman

THB_bassman

Oct 11, 2005
    socal
    You have a great attitude, and I think your patience will pay off.
    :)

17. Not true. Don't ask me how I know this.

:help:

18. jgrotto

jgrotto

Nov 29, 2005
    Boston
    I'm intrigued.:eyebrow:

19. 8mmOD

8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    USA
    I looked for about 6 months scouring ebay, craigslist & other classifieds. I finally found a restored to mint '73 - SVT 810 and restored to mint '74 SVT head stocked with GE power tubes and RCA preamp tubes about a year or so ago for $1700. That price was for the both the amp & cab. I live on a friggin' island so shipping alone would have been at least $600+ if I bought off island. Patience pays off. A '76 just sold "buy it now" for $1250 on ebay & of course ebay prices are usually over-inflated. look on www.craigslist.org I have seen $800 SVT's for sale in LA, I even saw an SVT II sell for $500 within the last few months.

The early SVT's were made in the east. You are in Boston, right? Check craigslist for your area and the nearby states. There BOUND to be an SVT popping up soon.

20. THB_bassman

THB_bassman

Oct 11, 2005
    socal
    The winner of that recent, really NICE old '69 was indian40...
    is that the one you mean?