Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

70's SVT vs SVP-CL + Demeter VTHF-300M

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Fuzzhead, Jan 11, 2006.

1. Fuzzhead

Fuzzhead

Sep 26, 2005
    Australia
    All this talk of the impending Ampeg SVT-VR has renewed my interest in SVT's!

Without considering price, how would the SVP-CL with a kickass tube power amp like the Demeter, go as far as imitating a real 70's SVT?

Would it be pretty much there, or is there some magic that only the original gets? I know the original uses 6550's and 12DW7's. Maybe there's another power amp that'd work better?

Thanks for any replies. ;)

2. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    The Demeter is way awesome, but I don't think it would achieve the warm tubey overdriven sound that the SVT is known for. I'm also anxious at the AV, I really want to like this new Ampeg head, as I am less than impressed with their other gear. I hope they make a good cab to go with it.

3. Fuzzhead

Fuzzhead

Sep 26, 2005
    Australia
    Just get a NV610 before they go. :)

4. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Allready got one. :hyper:
    But I think I may regret not getting a NV215 (or 425) before they go.

5. cabcreaser

cabcreaser Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2005
    I think the Aguilar DB728 (they still show up on ebay occasionally) would be a better fit for that application than the Demeter VTHF-300M.

But you may just want to track down an early seventies (Magnavox era) SVT. They are often priced very reasonably and they sound great.

6. If you are thinking about a SVP-CL and a tube power amp you are probably better off just buying an old SVT. I chose a SVP-CL / Stewart 2.1 combination because I wanted to save a lot of weight and I never use anything but a clean sound. The sound of this pair is very close to how my son's early 70's SVT sounded at lower volumes. If you're not going to save any weight just go for the real deal.

Rick B.

7. David Vega

David Vega

Aug 28, 2002
    Puerto Rico
    word, if you are young, go with all tubey!!If not, think about it again

8. Fuzzhead

Fuzzhead

Sep 26, 2005
    Australia
    Are Trace Elliot VA 350's alright? I'm searching but not turning up too much. I know someone who wants to sell it, it's got 6 x KT-88s so would it be at least comparable as a power amp to the SVT's? I could always get a SVP-CL to go with it later.

9. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Um YES they are good. :hyper:

10. mksolid

mksolid

Jan 4, 2005
    Brooklyn
    What do you guys mean, "Before they go"?

11. Fuzzhead

Fuzzhead

Sep 26, 2005
    Australia
    They're being phased out this year.

12. Fuzzhead

Fuzzhead

Sep 26, 2005
    Australia
    Yes but how good? Like do they compare to SVT-II's or V6/V8's? Especially in the power amp.