1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

70's V4 cab question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jerkass9879, Jan 10, 2012.

1. jerkass9879

jerkass9879

Sep 23, 2009
    I have this cab and I currently use it as my guitar cab with my traynor YBA-1A. I'm looking to see if anyone could recommend me decent speakers that I could use for bass and guitar. I really want to start using 12's and this seems like the easiest way. I play through a V4b head. anything helps.
    thanks
    -chris

2. no such speakers exist, alas. It's one instrument or the other you're trying to amplify.

3. jerkass9879

jerkass9879

Sep 23, 2009
    can you recommend a good bass speaker to use in it? I read the eminence 2512 but I'm trying to not spend $900
    Is there a speaker equivalent to them that isn't a neo magnet?

4. jerkass9879

jerkass9879

Sep 23, 2009
    sorry I spent more time searching and figured out what I'm going to do.

5. Alex1984

Alex1984

Jan 16, 2010
    Vancouver
    From what I've read, Eminence Kappalites are pretty much king of the hill, but when use in this cab, some people ended up blocking 2 of the holes, and mounting only 2 speakers on the diagonals. That helps with the cost thing a little.

6. Yeah, JohnK10 has a 4-12 V-4 cab w/those and loves them, pricey as they are now. Though I see you've said you've done some homework why not PM him and see what he has to say? Quite knowledgeable about dealing w/older gear like that.

Another thing you could do is figure out the internal volume and run WinISD w/some different 12s and see what works both sealed and ported.

7. Interesting idea, hadn't heard of that one. Do they port these cabs or run them sealed?

Wonder if you could do something like that w/the 2512s? Have used those in 2-2.2 cu ft ported cabs (per driver) w/good results and they're not as $ as the 3012HOs.

8. jerkass9879

jerkass9879

Sep 23, 2009
    another dumb question. Do you think it would be louder to run a sealed 4x12 vs. a ported 6x10?

9. depends on the drivers you're using, hard to say. A lot of the low end is dependent on overall excursion and displacement of the cones. Then there's voicing, you trying to emphasize more of the mids at the expense of lows or ?? so the concept of loudness is a bit vague here.

10. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    i installed four 2512 series II's in mine and i love it. it can take any amp that i throw at it. it actually sounds really good with guitar too, but don't expect the cones to break up like a guitar speaker.

11. jerkass9879

jerkass9879

Sep 23, 2009
    I'm currently using an Ampeg 610hlf and most likely going to use the Eminence 2012 drivers. Just seeing if it would give me even a little bit more headroom. I'm going to do it regardless.

12. ddbassGA

ddbassGA Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2010
    Athens, GA
    Funny, I just asked this same question here a couple days ago. Since I have plenty of bass cabs I'm thinking of dedicating this cab to guitar, at least for now. My amp tech has a gently used quad of Celestion Vintage 30s cheap and I gotta try em. Should sound awesome with the V4.

If I went bass, and didn't want to spring for Neo speakers, what would work well?

13. jerkass9879

jerkass9879

Sep 23, 2009
    "If I went bass, and didn't want to spring for Neo speakers, what would work well?"

That's what i would like to know.
    I used this cab for guitar for years now and i just really want a 4x12 bass cab now. plus it would look awesome under the v4b

14. Mike in Chicago

Mike in Chicago Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2011
    Chicago
    Years ago I had two V4 bottoms, used them for bass for the same reasons...wanted a stack and all that...they didn't work well. But things are different now...there are 12" that would work. I like that.