1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

70s Yamaha BB - tuner slipping. Help?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by zachoff, Nov 2, 2010.

1. I'm told there's something that I can adjust to increase or decrease the force needed to turn the tuning peg on the Japanese Yamaha basses. Can anyone confirm or deny this and if it's true give me a clue as to how to do it? Thanks in advance.

2. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Got a close-up pic of the tuner? I had a set of Yamaha-esque tuners on a high-end Hondo P copy(hey...it can happen!) which had tension variable collars located on the tuning key shaft.

Riis

3. Will do as soon as I can.. Will prob be tomorrow night.

4. Zooberwerx

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    No problem. While you're at it, take a close look at the shaft just below the cloverleaf. If my hunch is correct, you should see a collar with small holes / indents on the opposing sides.

Riis

5. BritFunk

BritFunk Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2009
    My Friends,

+1

The shaft of the older Yamaha bass tuning key generally has a small opening in the side to allow for a specialized wrench to engage and tighten it. I still have a wrench at home in my repair kit, as well as several extra tuners from a set I replaced...

----
    Kurt

6. Zooberwerx

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Thanks for the corroboration. I've always wondered what the appropriate tool might be. Hate to admit it but I used a pair of needle nose pliers with a piece of latex surgical tubing on each jaw. Provided enough "grip" without scarring the tuner itself.

Riis