1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

70th Anniversary of the Liberation of the Netherlands

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by HeavyAxe, Apr 25, 2015.

1. HeavyAxe

HeavyAxe

Jul 16, 2013
    Alberta, Canada
    One of Canada's proudest moments was no doubt during the liberation of the Netherlands from the hands of the Nazis. Not only for Canada, but for the allies as a whole. I wanted to share this special anniversary, especially as a Canadian and as a descendant of various Canadian soldiers. While the liberation of Europe was a joint effort obviously, Canada and Holland have a very special bond and shared history. I'm very much looking forward to heading to Europe in June and visiting all the great Canadian sites and remembering my ancestors and all servicemen who fought for country. Events like these always make for a good opportunity to remind us of those who sacrificed so much. I wish I was a better writer so I could create a suitable tribute to these men and women, but I think the pictures speak for themselves.

Ontarios%20parade%20in%20Holland%20to%20celebrate%20Dutch%20liberation,%201945%203.
    arnhem_perth_15apr45.
    40a4467c-74c8-4257-9bc6-1ee7de0c6394.
    19450509-PA134390-ViaRotterdam.
    holland2.

[​IMG] '
    tumblr_mcq838008C1ry96k9o1_1280.
    This one with American troops is just awesome. ^
    [​IMG]
    Holten-Rijssen_April_1945.
    arnhem_perth_15apr45_2.
    MajorDavidVCurrieVCoftheSouthAlbert.
    lt-dave-heap-kijkt-naar-het-bord-van-de-stad-groningen-aan-de-paterswoldseweg.
    [​IMG]
    Some other tremendous pictures from other parts of the war, then and now:

slide_387338_4658492_free.
    slide_387338_4658494_free.
    slide_387338_4658504_free.

The Liberation of the Netherlands - The Second World War - History - Remembrance - Veterans Affairs Canada
    Groningen Flies Canadian Flags To Thank Troops Who Liberated City
    Maple Leaf Up

JFOC, ritz, Eric66 and 4 others like this.
  2. FilterFunk

FilterFunk Everything is on the ONE! Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2010
    Powerful stuff; thanks for posting.

As an American, it's always refreshing and informative to see and read things about WWII that are not from an American perspective.

Thomas Kievit and Immigrant like this.
  3. Rocker949

Rocker949

Apr 20, 2005
    As an American with close friends in the Netherlands, thank you Canada. May your great accomplishment always be remembered.

Thomas Kievit, Eric66 and Immigrant like this.
  4. Stewie26

Stewie26 Supporting Member

Awesome photos. Thanks for posting

5. bhunt1

bhunt1 Vintage Lefty Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2009
    Upstate NY
    Older than dirt ;)
    Those are great photos and that was a great day for the Allies. We Americans do sometimes overlook that the liberation of Europe was an Allied operation, and this is a good reminder. Btw my cousin is buried the the US military cemetery in Margraten the Netherlands - he was a US Army private who was killed in battle in November 1944 in Geilenkirchen Germany during the Battle of the Bulge. I visited his grave in 2008 and found the people of the Netherlands (and Belgium where we stayed) to be very hospitable and very appreciative of the Allied efforts to free Europe from the Nazis.

Eric66 and Rocker949 like this.
  6. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Guest

May 19, 2012
    Proud to be Dutch! Thank you for our freedom Canada! :)

7. ChrisB2

ChrisB2 Bass... in your fass

Feb 27, 2008
    TalkBass > Off Topic
    Those last three montages are incredibly moving. Thanks for sharing...

Rocker949 likes this.
  8. Richland123

Richland123

Apr 17, 2009
    Thanks for posting those incredible pictures and a reminder of the sacrifices that the armed forces gave to help Europe.

It's unfathomable to imagine what the soldiers and residents of Europe had to endure during WWII. Thankfully, the Allied Forces prevailed and ended the evil of the Nazi Regime.

It's too bad that after all the lessons learned from the devastation of WWII that wars continue to this day across the world.

Rocker949 likes this.
  9. Rocker949

Rocker949

Apr 20, 2005
    Part of the problem is that it has become the thing now to not study history, to not care about the past, to mostly only focus on the present.

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."

--George Santayana