Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

'71 Ampeg cab & 5 string

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by LeftyLB70P, Feb 15, 2006.

1. LeftyLB70P

LeftyLB70P

May 4, 2005
    Athens, Ga.
    I have a '71 Ampeg SVT 810" cabinet that has the original speakers in it. I play through an '81 Acoustic 220 which is rated: 170 W RMS @ 4 Ohm, 5 % THD.

Ok, playing my Fender P through it sounds ooohhhh so good. I have turned the amp to as high as like 4, maybe 5 (maybe) but that is plenty loud. No breaking up, have used various E.Q. settings and never heard anything that gave me pause.

I also play a Carvin LB75..... a 5 string with active/passive pickups. The cabinet doesn't seem to like the B string. (OK, now let me clarify - this is not my only amp/cabinet. The bass is fine. This is firmly established and I point it out so as to removed possible confusion) I get anything from a slight overdriven type sound to farting type noises depending on how hard I lay into the string. At the time of this writing (sitting at my desk) I can't remember how things are with the E string (or any other) but I want to say that there is no noticable breaking up.

Ok, my question: can this cabinet, with this amp pushing it, handle that low B? Or am I running the risk of blowing a speaker?
    I haven't spent much time experimenting, I simply swapped back to the Precision because we were actually practicing and haven't returned to do any testing yet.

Please give me feedback. I think that I have given all relevant info but if not, ask.

Thanks

2. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

IMO you simply don't have enough power. Two reasons the P-bass sounds better: 1) it doesn't have a B string. 2) it's passive. Active electronics have better fidelity on both ends of the spectrum. The lower notes and additional bass response of your fiver are maxxing out the headroom of your amp.

Try cutting lows on the five string ... you might not like the tone, but string balance should improve, and so will headroom. A better solution would be to get a more powerful amp.

As for the old 8x10 cabs and B string: short answer, you won't feel the low notes as you will with a modern ported cab. However you will still hear them. That low B of 30 Hz isn't just 30Hz: it also has harmonics at 60Hz and above. It's a punchy cab, and you can get punchy notes down low.

Note: I play five string, and love the way it sounds thru my Bergantino NV610. It's a sealed 6x10, similar to the old Ampeg 8x10 coffin.

3. LeftyLB70P

LeftyLB70P

May 4, 2005
    Athens, Ga.
    Awesome! (well, not totally, that means I can now justify buying another amp)

Thanks for the opinion. It makes sense to me and I can buy into it (I hate when someone just throws out a useless blurb). I appreciate it Fuzz.