SOLD '71 Gibson SB-300

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by chris merrill, Oct 9, 2016.

Tags:
  1. chris merrill

chris merrill Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Endorsing Artist for: GHS Strings, Lakland Basses
    Price:
    Strings:
    IMG_4597.jpg IMG_4596.jpg A pretty rare one, and I thought I'd never sell this one, but I gotta do it.
    I received this in a trade almost a year ago and it's worn GHS flats the entire time. Got some airtime in a few recording sessions and has a singular unique voice all it's own. Nothing like the tubby EB series at all. Two single coil pickups are big and clear!
    I believe it's all original and in very good shape. Some player wear and a few knicks here and there, but overall it's in way better shape than the very few others that I've seen. The actual saddles on the bridge where the strings lay are plastic and two of them are chipped. Doesn't effect sound or tone or ease of setup...replacements are out there too, just never had a chance to fix'm(just like the previous owner)
    Also, not pictured, but I do have the original bridge cover and have a bit of foam under there. Sounds
    Superb!
    No case, but I'll pack/ship it properly and in a gig bag.

Gibson SB Series of Bass Guitars

2. dusterdan70

dusterdan70 Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2014
    So Cal
    So this is the short scale model, correct? Sweet looking axe!

3. chris merrill

Dec 14, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Yep, 30.5"

4. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Very cool! One of Gibson's few forays into putting single coils in a bass. And yes, it has a very unique sound - especially for a Gibson. They were only offered between 1970-71 IIRC. One of the rarer Gibsons out there. Be a nice score for the Gibson player who previously thought they had everything. :thumbsup:

chris merrill likes this.
  5. I had one of these years ago, and it was the only Gibson bass I ever really liked. Good luck!

6. FranF

FranF Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2004
    Northeastern PA
    I can vouch for its coolness. And it is all original. And verrrrrry clean.

7. chris merrill

Dec 14, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Sold, pending payment!

8. Soundworks

Soundworks Supporting Member

May 12, 2012
    Santa Cruz Mountains
    Payment sent! :)

9. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Congrats to @tonyespinoza for scoring one of the most unique Gibsons ever!

And also thanks for buying it. Because if it stayed unsold about four weeks longer, I probably would have figured out some way to buy it. And I really shouldn't even be thinking like that at this point. Whew! That was close!!!! :laugh::thumbsup:

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021