Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

'71 vs '72 P

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sufenta, Feb 14, 2005.

1. Sufenta

Sufenta Trudging The Happy Road of Destiny

Mar 14, 2002
    The Signpost Up Ahead.
    Yesterday I went to GC, and asked if they had any 'secret stash' in the back. Sure enough the guy brings out a really clean natural P bass with a sticker that says '71. This is like a dream bass for me. I plug it in and it sounds great. Then I do the usual grilling about authenticity, neck, pots, p/u's etc all of which he assures me are stock '71. So I get it, new case thrown in, new strings thrown in, etc. But when I get home, I start taking the thing apart and the pots are '72, and the neck is March '72. The body has no date I can distinguish.
    Now the question: should I make a stink about this missdating issue, and does anybody know roughly what the price difference between a clean/stock '71 and a clean/stock '72 P bass would be?
    Thanks

2. If you really like the bass, why would you?

I don't think there's any price difference between a '71 and a '72, although I'm not an expert.

Pre-CBS is a different story.

If you like it, keep it.

Just my $.02

Mike

3. Does the date matter that much, its only a year out, and as Mike ^ said, if you like it, you like it, dont like something just because of the date on it :p

4. bassaussie

bassaussie

Oct 6, 2001
    Portugal

The easiest and quickest way to date a Fender from that period is by the serial number, which is located on the neck plate. It's not uncommon to find a neck plate from one year matched up with pots from another, and a neck stamp from another. I'd say the store has dated the bass from the serial number, and not bothered to remove the neck or look at the pots.

Regarding value, a '71 or '72 would be priced similarly in the current market. Personally, I think if you really like it, you should just stick with it.

5. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Yep, I'm with the rest. If you are looking for an excuse to return it, then do so. If not, then the error was not a big one.

6. marc40a

marc40a

Mar 20, 2002
    Boston MA
    I wouldn't sweat it. Really, what are you looking at between '71 and March of '72? Three months???

The confusion probably came from the serial. There's a a range of acceptable number for every year and they do overlap (especially around that period) of course everyone always goes with the lowest year for their serial number. Check out this commonly used number chart:

200,000s to 300,000s 1969 to 1970
    300,000s 1971 to 1972
    300,000s to 500,000s 1973

So, what if my bass is # 300,001?? Must be a 1969, right? Well...um.. maybe not.

For the time period you're talking about there aren't any distinguishing features or transistions between the two years so the overall condition has much more impact on the price then the exact year. You're splitting hairs.

7. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Couldn't have said it better. If you like it keep it, if you're unsure, take it back and use that as grounds to return.

8. Sufenta

Sufenta Trudging The Happy Road of Destiny

Mar 14, 2002
    The Signpost Up Ahead.
    Thanks for all the quick feedback everybody. I know the prices on 'vintage' Fenders change pretty quickly. If the difference between the '71 and '72 was a couple of $100's I might feel it would be worth pursuing. I just don't feel I need to throw GC any more $$$ than I already do.

9. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    You said body has no date?
    I do not believe fender man a natural P-bass in 71-72?
    Was body stripped?
    Body could be for newer bass?
    But if it plays and sounds good keep it.