72' Eb-3 / ailing pickup?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ubernaut, Jan 9, 2005.

1. ubernaut

Apr 10, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Ive got a 72' eb-3 with original neck and bridge pickups. I tune down to drop C with D'Addario XLB055-130 Long Scale strings. Those seem to be the punchiest stings given the fact that I tune down and play a short scale bass. Ive got an svt-cl with 8x10 cab newly retubed. Problem is I get a weak over all volume (seems I have to crank my amp) and my low string (C) puts out a weaker volume compared to the other 3 strings. My bass tech mentioned that my neck pickup was putting out a weaker signal compared to what it should. He suggested a dimarzo Model One. Anyone have any experience with Model One on a short scale? Im hoping to get rid of the mud and get some clean, puchy, louder lows while staying in drop C.
  2. Was he trying to sell you a pickup? I'm suspicious here.

I'd leave your bass stock. Pickups generally either work, or they don't, they don't fade away, as a very general rule.

Did you raise the pickup as high as you can? That should help. Check for lousy soldering and maybe replace your tone cap too....

Drop C on a short scale bass that's not known for clear tones anyway...hate to say it but maybe another bass may be in order.

Don't ruin the value of that bass by sticking another pickup in.
  3. ubernaut

Apr 10, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Hmmm, interesting....Im not to worried about keeping the guitar og. Ive already put on a BadAss bridge cause Gibsons bass bridges stink. And its got Schaller tuners. Maybe the Dimarzio Model One has more "ummph"?????????
  4. bassclef112

bassclef112 Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2003
    New York City, NY
    I have a '76 EB3 and I added a Dimarzio Model 1 because I wanted a clearer sound. I'm not at all familiar with drop tunings but I woud have to say doing it on a short scale bass isn't very coducive to the results expected. A Model 1 will make it more defined, but it is not the same type of tone as the original pickup. Purists don't think much of the Model 1, but I happen to like it. Since you are looking for drop tunings you can only try it out and see how how it suits.