1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

'72 Fender Custom Shop Tele Bass Build

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by nicfargo, Oct 25, 2009.

1. nicfargo

nicfargo

May 28, 2008
    Lincoln, NE
    Hey Everybody,

I'm starting a new build of a 72' Fender Custom Shop Tele Bass...pretty much just like the one on Guitar Center's website that they want 6k for found here. I'm taking a Squier VM Precision Bass TB as my base for the build (it was free). I've already ordered the 2nd pickup for the build and now I'm looking at refinishing it. As you can see from the photos, I've got everything routed. Now I'm to the refinishing stage of my build and here's where I could use some help.

I've been looking on reranch.com for my information and I'm asking you guys for some clarification. Reranch says that if your current finish is poly, you can use 220 sand paper on it and then prime over that. I've sanded my bass with 220 dry, and gotten all the shinyness out of it. Anyone able to tell me if I'm on the right path, or would you suggest doing something else when refinishing a bass? I'm planning on using a metalic color, so any tips would be appreciated.

Here's the pics of where I'm at currently:

IMG_5479.
    IMG_5480.
    IMG_5481.

2. scotch

scotch It's not rocket science! Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2006
    Albany, NY USA
    Please see Profile for Endorsement disclosures
    'scribed... I like where this is going!

3. jworrellbass

jworrellbass Commercial User

May 17, 2009
    Colorado Springs CO
    Owner, builder: jworrellbass
    6k for a fender, custom shop?:eyebrow::rollno::scowl::spit: Please build it and tell Fender what they can do with theirs.:cool:

4. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Victoria, BC
    Great idea, 6K, what are they smokin'? You're on the right track. If your poly finish is intact, then scuffing the surface and priming should get you where you want to be. Are you using fender pickups like the custom shop?

5. nicfargo

nicfargo

May 28, 2008
    Lincoln, NE
    Yup, sure am. The Squier actually comes with a huge Fender humbucker (mudbucker?), so I just ordered another one. It wasn't too bad, the pickup set me back $90.

I'm also getting a pickguard blank from allparts and cutting it using a template from terrapin guitars of a 72' CS Telecaster that I'll modify for the bass. My goal is to get it to look just like the one on the website, except for the color which I'm thinking of doing Ice Blue Metalic off reranch.com website.

6. scotch

Nov 12, 2006
    Albany, NY USA
    Fight the temptation & don't buy a pirated "Fender" logo! Come on man, keep it real!

7. nicfargo

nicfargo

May 28, 2008
    Lincoln, NE
    Yeah, I don't think I'm going to...but I can't decide if I want to do a matching headstock or not. I think it would be cool...but I'm just not sure. What do you think? If I do decide to do a matching headstock, it would make it that much harder not to just put a Fender tele bass logo on there :bawl:

8. Great idea, I've always liked those basses but they are not worth the 6k!

-Joe P.

9. Jools4001

Jools4001 Supporting Member

Well, in the UK the usual abreviation for feet and inches is to say 5' 9" (for 5ft 9ins), So the way I read it is that 6K is not bad value if it's 72 feet long ;)

Of course it could always be a '72, in which case it looks like a really nice project, but I'm with you...c'mon 6K for a Fender, when it looks as if you can make a really good version from a Squier

10. bassgod76

bassgod76 bass turd burglar

Mar 13, 2003
    South Florida
    Subscribed!

11. JMac- Wiskerface Designs

JMac- Wiskerface Designs Terror headcase dude

Jul 8, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Should turn out sweet! What type of neck are you looking at using? Keep us posted...

12. KaizerWilhelm

KaizerWilhelm

Mar 11, 2009
    Seattle, WA
    Subscribed! This is going to be legit.

13. nicfargo

nicfargo

May 28, 2008
    Lincoln, NE
    I'm going to be using the neck that came with the Squier. It's a telecaster style neck...and honestly is one of the best necks I've played. I'd rate it right up there with my EBMM Sterling for sure...blows my MIM Jazz, Hwy 1 Jazz, and Ric right out of the water. It won't have the block and binding unfortunately...maybe someday I'll replace it with a neck that does, but for now it'll do.

I just went out and got the primer, color, and clear coat for this thing. I'm going to start the primer here in a little bit. It's just a primer, but I'll post pics anyway.

I was going to get some stuff from Reranch.com, but just decided to see what my auto parts store had. I got some Dupli-color grey primer, some Dupli-color light blue metalic color, and Dupli-color Clear coat. The clear coat is a high quality acrylic lacquer...anyone know how this clear coat works and holds up?

14. scotch

Nov 12, 2006
    Albany, NY USA
    Well ,yeah, it's tempting. But, in my opinion, it's disingenuous. Besides, if you're the one doing all of this customizing, why not come up with your own? Coming up with your own logo is a whole lot cooler than passing off a Squier as a Fender. :)

What's not my opinion, however, is that Fender doesn't sell their logo decals (trademark) on the open market. By buying one, you're just sponsoring a crook.

15. bassgod76

Mar 13, 2003
    South Florida
    Yeah, but what if you want to refinish your headstock in a different color, but want the Fender logo to remain? Or waht if you want a different era Fender logo?

Fender wants in on the action; maybe they should offer such a product.

16. scotch

Nov 12, 2006
    Albany, NY USA
    Ahhh, but they do! If you have an original Fender neck that either due to a repair or damage needs a new decal- you can contact them through any dealer to get the decal. All you have to do is prove that a) you own the corresponding instrument, and b) a new decal is necessary.

Regarding period-correct decals, you'd have to do what any "restorer" has to do for any other original vintage part- buy it on the used market. Usually this means buying a whole neck.

Either way, a pirated decal is a pirated decal.

17. bassgod76

Mar 13, 2003
    South Florida
    Well, I guess that means I'm walking the plank. ;)

18. scotch

Nov 12, 2006
    Albany, NY USA
    I didn't bring this up as an attack, and I don't think you're taking it as such bassgod76. :)

Obviously, were getting off-topic a bit here, but consider this:

Yes, Fender is now a corporately owned medium-to-large business. Yes, there's probably a small handful of executives "raking it in". But, there's also a small army of hourly employees and salaried working stiffs that would appreciate it if we stopped stealing their companies trademark- thus making it more difficult to continue putting groceries on their families tables.

***full disclosure*** I am a Fender endorser with a relationship with the company through it's artist representatives. I've never received a dime of payment from Fender, of course, just free & discounted products and service.

For the record, I'd defend any companies' or individuals' intellectual property. Fender may have dropped the ball decades ago by not defending their instruments' body designs- but lets not take them for granted, either, by acting so cavalier about their headstocks & trademarks as well! :)

I still can't wait to see the finished bass, nicfargo! I'm sure it will be awesome. Heck, maybe it could inspire Fender to make an affordable version available? Perhaps a dual humbucker tele Squier?

19. DuffMac87

DuffMac87 Banned

Oct 10, 2009
    Industry , california
    I would pass on a finished headstock, i have never been a fan of a maple board with colored headstock.I got one of those tele basses for 150$ great bass, this one bassist beg to buy it from me and i turned him down but when he pulled out 200$ i agreed. I miss it tho.

20. nicfargo

nicfargo

May 28, 2008
    Lincoln, NE
    Yeah, now that I look at the photos of the bass I'm copying (and rightfully so since I'm reproducing it for way less then 5%), since it doesn't have a matching headstock, I don't think I'll do it to this one either. Which means, the Squier logo stays!

Anyone have a good way to get ferules out of a bass? The bass is equipped for string through, but I can't get the ferules out...any pointers?