1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

72 Fender P Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by colindbgolf, Feb 27, 2013.

1. colindbgolf

colindbgolf Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2007
    Rochester NY
    I am itching for this bass. It's at a local music shop. I've played on it and like the feel. It's been refinished (looks like a long time ago), non original pickguard and pots, original pups, and a badass bridge. Also light as a feather. Asking price is $1500. There could potentially be some wiggle room... but is it worth it? and would it last as an investment?

2. colindbgolf

colindbgolf Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2007
    Rochester NY
    here's the pics

Attached Files:

3. I thought the thumb rest got moved into the thumb position in the 60's.

I could be wrong though, I'm not an expert by any means. I'm sure any second a know-all Fender guy will come and help you out.

Either way, it's a beautiful bass.

4. Thats not a horrible deal, but its really a players bass now. Thats a price thats workable with, I got a all original but beat '74 last year for $1350-I got a good deal though. A 1972 is worth more then a '74, but a refin really kills value. I would say $12-1300 tops if you really love it.

5. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Looks like an A width neck, which is rare.

Id pay the price if it feels great.

Looks awesome. One of my favorite color schemes.

6. Nope, 1974.

7. I bought a natural refin, Badassed early 1976 last fall for $1150, but it also had replacement pups (and pg) and of course it was a later model than the more valuable '72. I think I probably paid a little too much, but I like the bass. So I'd say the price on the '72 may be pretty close to right.

8. Buy it. Post tons of pictures. Know that it will make me happy.

9. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    The market is in a weird place right now, but I would say how can you possibly think you are overpaying for a vintage instrument when the new ones cost about that much new?

Just a fleeting thought.

10. Dluxe

Dluxe

Jan 9, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Make him an offer. A necks are pretty rare and '72 was a good year for P basses. No channel route on the body.

11. Petethebassman

Petethebassman

Mar 7, 2008
    Finland
    That's a really nice looking P-Bass! If it feels good and sounds good, I'd say go for it! I'll admit I'm partial to the natural/maple/tort combination as that '72 looks almost like a mirror image of my lefty '75, apart from the thumb rest position and the Badass. Mine isn't light as a feather, though, she's 11,5 lbs:

fender%2520100.

12. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 God of Thunder and Rock and Roll Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    Considering a 70's P pickup can cost you 250-350 I'd say that's not to bad. I'd try and get them to come down a bit though.

13. "Atlantic Rhythm & Blues" ON VINYL -- impressive!!!

14. Petethebassman

Petethebassman

Mar 7, 2008
    Finland
    Thanks, that's a great compilation, I bought it used in '93 or '94. On vinyl it's seven double LP's, each in a separate gatefold sleeve inside the box, so it's big and heavy, but full of classic R&B and soul, 186 songs in all. Coasters, Ray Charles, Otis, Aretha, King Curtis, Chuck Willis, Sam & Dave, Drifters etc etc.

15. Indeed. I have 5 of the 7 CDs, but they had to drop a few sides to make everything fit. Still, it's essential!

16. Gord_oh

Gord_oh Midtown Guitars Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2008
    Michigan
    1973 was the transition year.

17. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    Are you looking for ANY 70's Fender, and are you willing to pay any price to own one? Because $1,500 is WAY too much for that bass. A refin cuts about 50% off the value of an instrument. Especially a bad refin, like the one on that bass. Compound that with a Badass bridge, non original p/ups and pots - this is way overpriced.

Be smart. Take the $1,500 that's burning a hole in your pocket and wait for a nice, original example to pop up. You'll be much happier with it. Especially when it comes time to sell.

18. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    Agree, that is not a bad price but if you can get them down a bit do it. Point out that it is not all original. There are a couple older 70's heavy ones in my area asking that much or more so if its light, plays and sounds well and the truss rod and neck are good=win

BTW-lose the BA bridge then she will be a real looker and sound better IMO.

19. Vinnie Boombatz

Vinnie Boombatz Banned

May 26, 2010
    I'll be honest, I've noticed that EVERYTHING that smcd posts is pretty negative around here, but in this case I think he's right. You can get a 70's P thats in closer to original condition for around that price, maybe a little more.

It's not to say that it's not worth it, because that's all up to you, but know that if you ever plan on selling it you probably won't get anything near what you paid for it because of the mods. I think the refinish is really what kills the value because that's not something you can fix on the bass. You can go buy an original bridge and replace that BAII and sell the BAII for a few $$$, but you can't put the finish back to stock.

I guess it comes down to what you think it's worth to you and what you're willing to pay based on how it sounds. For that money though I'd go with a used AVRI P, or this one: http://www.samash.com/p/Fender_Amer...&cagpspn=pla&gclid=CLv0zuGh2bUCFeeDQgodv1YAwg

I do have a '76, but I paid like $190 for it because the owner had no clue what he had. It's an amazing bass, sounds huge, all original except the BAII bridge and Dimarzio Model P pup. I replaced the bridge with a new Fender vintage style bridge and a Fender '62 Original RI pup, and it sounds amazing, but there's no way I'd ever spend $1500 on a modified 70's Fender, when you can get a new Road Worn P, Classic 50's P or used American Vintage for less than what they are asking for this bass.

20. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    "EVERYTHING"? Whoa! That's a LOT!

But - if you click on my user name and then click on "find all posts by smcd", you'd see that this is in fact, absolutely untrue.