1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

72 Jazz Bass - Nut

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Ampig, Oct 11, 2013.

1. Ampig

Ampig Supporting Member

I just accquired the above and need to replace the nut because the slots are way oversized. I'm ordering a replacement nut but I don't want to remove the existing one until I'm ready to replace it, so I need to know if the nut slot is flat our rounded on a 72 Jazz.

2. SilGarzaJr

SilGarzaJr SilGarzaJr

Mar 28, 2012
    North Texas
    I will not discourage you from changing the nut... but you might consider the baking soda and superglue trick to fill the slots slightly.

I did this with a poorly cut nut and it worked like a charm. Plenty of DIY videos on youtube.

Do the research and check it out. Also keeps your bass original. Only thing to look out for is taking off fretboard and neck.

Good Luck!

sg

3. SamanthaCay

SamanthaCay

Nov 16, 2008
    Denver, CO.
    It's rounded If my memory serves me correct.
    Another thing is with the original nut it is placed inside the binding, so basically unless you notch out the binding (please don't) any pre-fab nut is going to be too wide.

Also be aware that pre slotted nuts still require final shaping, at the very least you'll need to cut the slots deeper to match your bass.

4. SamanthaCay

SamanthaCay

Nov 16, 2008
    Denver, CO.
    Stewmac's video on Baking soda.

5. Ampig

Ampig Supporting Member

Thanks.

6. yup, definitely radiused bottom.

7. Ampig

Ampig Supporting Member

Thanks Joe. just checked out your videos. Great stuff man.

8. SilGarzaJr

SilGarzaJr SilGarzaJr

Mar 28, 2012
    North Texas
    Taping not taking!

9. Thanks!