1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

72 P Bass question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by wveeder, Mar 23, 2013.

1. wveeder

wveeder

Jan 23, 2012
    Albuquerque NM
    Hi all
    I have a chance to trade for what I think is a 1972 Fender P bass. Ill include pics but just wanted some advice as to what to look for. Non original bridge and tuners but neck is real. How do I tell if body is legit? I may trade a MIJ Marcus Mill Jazz so I want to be sure all's well in Denmark. Thank!

Attached Files:

2. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    Pickguard is also non-original.
    Hard to tell in pictures about finish?

3. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Having bought a new Precision in 2010 and getting a very, very nice instrument that's playable, has vibe and tone, all I can ask is why not check out the new AM Standards before chasing down an old parts bass?

4. wveeder

wveeder

Jan 23, 2012
    Albuquerque NM
    Finish is rough...

Attached Files:

5. TomB

TomB Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2007
    Vermont
    When the pickguard is removed, are the pickup cover holes in the right place? How about the bridge cover holes? The picture of the neck pocket isn't conclusive (and doesn't enlarge on my computer) but the stamp looks "Fender-like" from what little I can see. Does the seller know the story of the mods that were made and can you trace its history? If it fails these tests, then the price should reflect the uncertainty, IMO. None of these questions necessarily impact it value as a player, only as an investment. To value it as a player, you have to play it ;).

6. Get a pro to review it if you can! Take the neck off. The date should be stamped on the neck. Also the capacitors (pots) should have 4 digits that read xx7234, which means 1972 week 34.

Only if the pots and neck are consistent then it's worth a trade. If there's something missing then leave alone. Also the wear should be consistent all over the bass.

Davo

7. js1

js1

Oct 1, 2006
    Play it if you can.

That was a time of inconsistent basses from Fender. I say this as someone who had a 72 P bass, that I bought new in 72. Mine wasn't one of the good ones.

8. TomB

TomB Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2007
    Vermont
    I mostly agree, but unfortunately, not about the neck stamp. My '71 Jazz, which is 100% genuine, has nary a mark of any kind on the neck heel. It has no impact at all on sound or playability ...it's one of the great ones.

"Original" is a pretty high bar with old Fenders just generally speaking. I would never pay "vintage" price without getting an in-hand appraisal by someone whose judgment I trusted. Fortunately, you know that bass is not all-original to begin with so the price should reflect that.