Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

'72 P-Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DanGouge, Jul 3, 2002.

1. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    A local shop has one of these in and I'm quite taken by it. It has a sunburst finish, rosewood board, the body is alder I think, it's really light at any rate. It's got that classic P rumble, the quintessence of that tone in some ways.

Problem is (you knew this was coming... there's always a problem isn't there?) the price. At $2300 Cdn it seems a bit high to me. (This roughly $1500-$1600US for conversion purposes.) I really like the bass, but it ain't happening for me at that price. Is this a reasonable price? What should I offer (it's on consignment and I'm told the owner is "flexible") for it if you think I can get a better price. It's been in the store at least a months so I think that the owner may be ready to cut a better deal. Any thoughts/advice/help would be welcome.

2. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    Thats to much for a 72 P bass all you have to do is call around or visit some sites that carry vintage basses chicagomusicexchange.com thebasspalace.com etc.

3. lneal

lneal

Apr 12, 2002
    Lee County, Alabama
    Yea, Dan that's way too much. I asked the local Fender expert and he said it was worth less than half that much, even in good condition. I'd pass.

4. Dan, seems a bit high to me too. One place that'll give you the low down is Mandolin Brothers right here in NYC, on Staten Island. Send them an e-mail, I did a couple of times and they got back to me in about a day.

www.mandoweb.com

I just went into their site for a moment.Go check out Wes Montgomery's L5-C ; hey, it's only $135,000.00! :eek:

Have a happy and safe 4th of July everyone.

Mike J.

5. pbassfreak

pbassfreak

May 2, 2001
    long beach
    Thats to much..ive seen them on ebay for about
    1000.00..i dont know why but some poeple are paying that much for em..i dont think there worth it
    wait for g/c to blow em out .you can get a mia pbass for about 700.00.you wont be disapointed

6. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    Thanks for the tips everyone. My gut basically told me that it was too high, but I want confirmation before I was going try to get a better deal for it. The same place has another 72, this one with a maple board going for $1800 Cdn ($1200 US). This one has had its tuners and pickguard replaced. That one doesn't sound quite as good, although I could prolly negotiate to be within line with the Mandolin bros. one in terms of price. Buying American doesn't make much sense right now, maybe if your dollar drops a little more it will be worth the cross-border fees and what not.

BTW, Happy Birthday America!

7. Well i payed £800 (about $1100) for my 78 P bass in good nick. I could prob get about £1000 for it now. prices have gone up quite a lot in england over that last few months.

8. Keep an eye out on www.basspalace.com .I came close to buying a `78 MIA P in nm cond. for like 650.00 last year.They usually have a large selection of basses many of them vintage and semi-vintage(is there such a thing? :p )