Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

'72 Tele Bass pickguard

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dmaki, Apr 17, 2004.

1. dmaki

dmaki

Apr 29, 2000
    Chattanooga
    I was browsing around the Warmoth site today and found a cool looking pickguard that I've never seen before (http://www.warmoth.com/Guitar/Pckgrd/Telebasspg.htm - '72ish)

Does anyone have a picture or know where I can find a picture of a Tele/P-Bass with a pickguard like this?

[​IMG]

2. I don't think that my '68 tele looked like that - but it was a very long time ago so I'm not certain. The closest that I could spot quickly is this '73. You can see the similarity, but it's been adjusted for the humbucker right against the neck.

'73 Tele

3. dmaki

dmaki

Apr 29, 2000
    Chattanooga
    That pickguard looks about right, thanks for the picture. I was trying to compare an actual production bass to that of what Warmoth had on their site:
    [​IMG]

I think I like the body with the split pickup better... does anyone know if Fender ever made a production bass like that?

4. Actually I have seen one on the web recently, but do you think that I can locate it again? I'll keep an eye open for it.

5. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Here's a scan from my 1970 Fender catalog. Note the chrome Tele control plate.

The new Fender Mike Dirnt P Bass similar to the Warmoth but it has a rosewood fingerboard and a chrome control plate too.

6. bwbass

bwbass

May 6, 2002
    WA
    Our '72-ish pickguard is supposed to look approximately like the '73 shown above, but not require mounting a (hard-to-find) pickup in it like the original. It's by no means a vintage replacement... just something we made up.

Here's a 5-er from our site:
    [​IMG]

7. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Very sharp!!! Thanks Brian.

I don't think the original single coil P-Bass/T-Bass pup is that hard to find. It's as close as your nearest Fender/Basslines/Rio Grande and maybe Lindy Fralin dealer (and I suspect that I've omitted others). A new body to accept such a pickup would be more difficult to find I suspect.

8. bwbass

bwbass

May 6, 2002
    WA
    The hard-to-find '70's pickup I was referring to is the Fender wide-range humbucker found on this bass:
    [​IMG]

...not the single-coil P-bass found on late 60's Tele and '51-mid '57 Pbasses, which we do sell about 5 different replacements for. ...and do rout bodies for...
    [​IMG]

That big Fender humbucker isn't made by any major manufacturer, to my knowledge, which is why we didn't bother making a vintage pickguard routed for it. The pickguard sure looks cool, though; hence our modified design!

9. MascisMan

MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx

The new Mike Dirnt sig bass is tele style with this pickguard and a split single coil.

10. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I follow you now Brian...

I agree, the pickguard looks very nice...

MascisMan, the Mike Dirnt sig. has a chrome tele-like control plate but does have a split P pup... Personally, I like Warmoth's better...