1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

7250 NPS On VM-Jaguar

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by SurferJoe46, Sep 22, 2010.

1. The p'ups on this new Squier VM-Jaguar bass are really super hot!

Ungodly HOT!

Now - I hate 7250 NPS strings since they are so 'whizz-y' and noisy - but this new VM-Jaguar is so broad-spectrum with regard to the P/J situation, I wonder if I can even use anything else?

The power of the output makes me turn off my lows on the EQ on my amp and I also just switch to pass-through on my MXR Bass +DI or I get overpowered!

The tone is really great and I wonder if I'll screw that up by going to Elixirs or 77s or something else with more lows and not as much highs.

A paradox.

Just beware that the 7250s are pretty good on the Jaguar even if they make a little noise.

2. jasper383

jasper383

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
    Do the strings on your new Squier Jaguar have red silks?

The new Jaguar at my GC have red silks, and are NOT Fender 7250s. I don't know what they are, but they aren't 7250s. They look and feel like Rotos.

Fender often doesn't put the strings they say they put on on their basses. The Japan Fenders come with an unknown Japanese string, even though the website always says they are 7250s.

3. steamthief

steamthief

Jan 25, 2006
    Mentone Beach
    Red silks would be 7350, the stainless variant. OP, your description of 7250s is the tonal opposite of what I get with my Fender P Special - to my ears, they are the warmest nickel string out there, that's why I use them. Are the 7250s you refer to the new packaging version?

I played the VM Jag yesterday at GC, and boy does it have hot pickups! Very nice bass at any price.

4. These are the same red silks that were also on my VM-Jazz and the Squier site said they were 7250 NPSs.

OK - that's easy to remedy and I can change my mental notes easily enough. :meh:

Whatever they are, they red silks still blacken my fingers like an NPS would as I feel the Stainless wouldn't - so that's a big question mark yet for me.

I have a new set of ROTO RS 45s and they look just like the supposed 7250s that originally came on both the Jag & Jazz - and I have used these 45s on my Deluxe Jazz and liked them, although the Deluxe finally got Elixir Nanos as did the VM-Jazz.

Maybe just the hot-ness of the pickups is confusing - since I like the tone and don't want to lose it with another set of strings - but somehow I just bet the ROTO 45s would be a very good second choice.

ADDENDUM:::

The GC specs on the Jag:::

What's with the 'SUPER' part?

5. steamthief

steamthief

Jan 25, 2006
    Mentone Beach
    Not sure, 7250s have black silks. At least the ones in the old packaging do. But I don't blame you for not wanting to change the strings, I played about eight different basses yesterday at GC, and the VM Jag sounded better than any of them!

6. You must've gone to the Ontario store, since the Murrietta store had one - but I bought it!

Gads - that Ontario GC is kind short in the saddle for basses though - right? They have a few - but not many of each and certainly they don't even have much room for any more either unless they toss out the guitars.

Can I bring my skin diving stuff to your beach? (Nyuck, Nyuck!)

7. steamthief

steamthief

Jan 25, 2006
    Mentone Beach
    Actually, I was in San Berdoo, they must have just put the bass out as it didn't even have a price tag on it. Ontario is a little low on basses, you're right on there. If you're planning on visiting Mentone Beach, a snakebite kit may be more appropriate. :)

8. Yeah - I brought my ski boat and stuff and the launch ramp was gone

9. SpitfireMkI

SpitfireMkI

Mar 7, 2010
    Put Roto 66's on mine, love it

10. I hear good things about the 66s, but am hesitant to try them since they are rated akin to the teeth on a hacksaw blade.

Considering you can consider to advise me otherwise, I'd consider reconsidering them again.

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 28, 2021