1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

'73 Ampeg SVT 8-10 cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Oren Hudson, Sep 8, 2008.

1. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Dec 25, 2007
    Gastonia, NC
    Hey TBers. Some of you may remember the TB thread a couple of weeks ago entitled "Major Cool" that sedan dad started relating to an Ebay listing for a '72 SVT head with 2 matching square back cabs from the original owner. Well, I've ended up with the rig, and it is awesome! All original, including the factory dolleys intact, with most cosemetic issues being scuffs on the tolex. As the owner stated, it will clean up and detail out REAL nice. As always, I've started my journey with removing (or attempting to) the speakers. So what was Ampeg thinking when they used those "clutch head"/"security head" screws??? Most difficult to remove. I'm keeping them, but replacing them with comparable phillips heads. I've only managed to get a few of them removed in one of the cabs, but appears that maybe the cabs are some of the last of the squarebacks, since all speakers that I've managed to look at are identical numbered 5810144 (first line), 6910001 (second line), 137 7314 (third line), indicating of course, the CTS fairly early '73 mfg. No problems with that. It appears that the insulation on the back section in each chamber may have fallen. Looks to be one piece that maybe covered the back and the bottom sections. Looks like the insulation that was on the back of the chamber wall has fallen or folded forward and is more or less laying on the bottom section of insulation in the chamber. I don't know for sure, but just looks like the one section that appears to have fallen or folded down should be up against the back wall of the chamber. Doesn't appear to be stapled or glued much if any, just stuffed in. So... how is the insulation supposed to be positioned and placed in the chamber??? :cool:

2. mrkreuzschlitz

mrkreuzschlitz

Jun 30, 2008
    Dacula, GA
    I. HATE. YOU. :D

that rig was so nice, pictures?
    As far as I know, the insulation is simply stapled in. Thats how it is in my cab. You can replace it with some polyester batting or an egg crate matress topper and it'll work well.

I think. Don't quote me on that, but I'm pretty sure I've read it here a bunch of times. Billfitzmaurice would be the man to ask, no doubt.

3. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Dec 25, 2007
    Gastonia, NC
    I know. But I've got lots of love for you:D:D

Yea, I know that lots of experts and non experts alike will share what they know. Always do on here. Thanks for the compliments and info.

Maybe I can do pics once I've completed the cleaning and detail work. :cool:

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    The stuffing in my straightback looks like it's stuffed in, too. I seem to remember Bill saying you stuff for sealed cabs and line for ported.

BTW, Jess said he switched them over to the clutch head screws because it made manufacturing easier. It makes repairs suck, though. I used a torque driver for them, which worked OK, but it did slow down the process. Fortunately they're long gone and I won't miss them.

5. nice, i have a 76 in pretty decent shape. I got it for $600 about 10 years ago, one of the best buys i ever made. It does really good punchy slap, funk, and rock tones, as well as the good fuzzed out tones from the era it was made. It doesn't reach down too far on the 5 strings or basses tuned to D, so i picked up a 2x15 to make up the difference, but in the studio that ampeg is what i always mic up. It's extremely balanced and just seems to sound good no matter what style of music i've played.

Funny thing- for some reason the previous owner stripped off the tolex, sanded and stained the wood!! Also used some sort of weird wicker as a speaker grille. This thing looked like it belonged at a beach party! So i put some expanded metal on the grille frame and painted the whole thing black, as it wasn't looking very tough in a metal band the way i got it!

6. denton57

denton57 Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2005
    Arkansas
    Wow. Congratulations! I have a 73 SVT/810 rig myself. Now I want to remove the speakers to see whats inside mine. I just got the cab of CL a few months ago, so no telling whats in mine. Mine are clutch head screws too :meh:

7. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Dec 25, 2007
    Gastonia, NC
    FYI - denton57 --- make sure you get the correct headed removal tool. I found one as part of a set and driver at the local Grainger. I also saw that Flip Tops shows a tool on there web site. CAUTION CAUTION --- be very careful when removing. Even with the correct driver, if you slip, sometimes even once, those heads very quickly round out. Probably half of mine, so far, have done that. Then its to the screw extractor, drill bits etc. etc. Not very easy to do. After all of my searching, I found that the in the know fastner people called them security screws because once they're installed and you try to remove them, they do the rounding out to make them nearly impossible to remove, making whatever they're holding together "secure." AMEN! :cool:

8. mophead

mophead Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2004
    Texas Panhandle
    Go to a place that sells supplies for trailer houses and you can buy clutch head bits that will fit the screws and presto, easy out.

9. jarrod cunningham

jarrod cunningham

Apr 24, 2007
    sylacauga alabama
    spector basses
    OREN !!!!! MAJOR CONGRATS MY FRIEND !!!!!!!!!! YOUR JOURNEY IS NOW COMPLETE ...... wanna sell your other cab ???? :) lol lol lol

10. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Dec 25, 2007
    Gastonia, NC
    Hey Jarrod - Yea, it's a pretty sweet rig and I agree with you on keeping it as a set. I was going to PM you to thank you for all your previous wisdom and input, but I'll just do it here and now. :) As for the slant back '73 cab - haven't given it much thought yet. I'll need to get back to stripping the awfull carpet/glue remains from it. Another difficult task! :cool:

11. sedan_dad

sedan_dad Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2006
    Columbus,Ohio
    I'm glad you got thst beast.