Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

'73 Fender Jazz body w/Moses neck

Discussion in '[OLD FORUM] Bass Guitars, Amps, and Accessories: F' started by Scot, Apr 11, 2004.

1. Scot

Scot Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2004
    Pacifica, CA, USA
    I have a '73 Fender Jazz body (serial number 412765) with a Moses Diamondwood graphite neck. The body is ash with the original clear finish and has the amount of wear you would expect from a 31 year-old bass. The neck is in nearly new condition and was installed by one of the best repairmen in the San Francisco Bay area. He did a wonderful job and the neck is amazing - it's very thin but once you get used to it it's hard to play any other neck. This is the ultimate Marcus Miller bass with no dead spots and the neck doesn't have to be adjusted with the change of climate or seasons (which comes in handy if you're doing a lot of traveling with the bass). The bridge is from a MIM Jazz bass and the original white pickguard has been replaced with a black one. There's no pickups or pots in it, so you can add the pickups and preamp of your choice. The body has not been routed or modified but there is room for a 9-volt battery in the control cavity (it used to have a J-Retro with Barts in it). The strap buttons and neck plate are original. I bought the bass from the original owner in Glendale, CA in 1987. It was completely stock and had a maple neck with a rosewood fingerboard (just in case you're interested in the history of the bass). I also have a Valley Arts Guitar neck made by Warmoth that I bought in 1987. It was installed on the bass by Valley Arts Guitars at that time. It's a curly maple neck with a rosewood fingerboard. It is also a great feeling neck and feels more like the vintage-style Jazz necks than the necks Warmoth sells today. It has the Valley Arts logo on the head-stock. The finish has been worn off the back of the neck.

I already have another great 4-string Jazz bass so I'm wondering if anyone would like to trade a nice newer 5-string for my Jazz. I don't think I really want to sell it but guess I would for the right offer. Let me know if you're interested and I'll try to get a hold of a digital camera so I can snap some pics. Email or PM me.

-Scot :bassist:

2. Scot

Scot Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2004
    Pacifica, CA, USA
    The bass now has a control cavity cover and pots from Stewart MacDonald so the only thing it's missing is pickups. I forgot to mention that the Moses neck has a bone nut and the Valley Arts neck has a brass nut.

Come on and take advantage of me now. All of my musician friends are telling me I'm nuts to get rid of this bass and that I'll regret it later. They're probably right but I want a 5 string.

-Scot

3. natrab

natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    I'd like to maybe check this thing out as I'm getting rid of my 5er and am looking for another 4 string beast (here).

I live in Santa Cruz and I'll be driving up to Sacramento sometime soon. Maybe I could take the scenic route up hwy 1 and pay you a visit.

4. Scot

Scot Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2004
    Pacifica, CA, USA
    That sounds great. Come on up.