1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

73 Fender Precision Fretless Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by glivanos, Mar 30, 2006.

1. glivanos

glivanos Supporting Member

Jun 24, 2005
    Philadelphia Area
    I just wanted to run this thread by so I could get some opinions on something.

I have a 73 Fender Precision bass, fretless with unlined rosewood board, sunburst finish, original tortoise guard and bridge. The neck pick-up is a cream colored (early 80's vintage) Dimarzio P bass pickup with boost switch.

I had the bass modified by Roger Sadowski back in the early 80's. He added a cream colored Dimarzio jazz bridge pick-up, additional volume control and out of phase switch as well as did a set up on it. I believe he planned and trued the fingerboard as well. I still have the receipt showing he did the work.

My question is what is this instrument worth in today's market??

Condition is excellent. The only flaw is a decal the previous owner added to the body which I never ventured tryng to take off.

Note to moderators - if this post is in the wrong part of this forum my apologies and let me know where it should go.

I've attached a thumbnail pic below but can take more.

Thanks for your time.

Attached Files:

2. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI

thats a good question. A non modified P from this time would be worth about 2K. With the mods, just not quite sure. Half? If you dont need to sell and you use the instrument, keep it and enjoy. If youd like to get a value, put it on ebay with a ridiculous reserve. See what it bids up to

Rob

3. AGCurry

AGCurry

Jun 29, 2005
    St. Louis
    Fretless Fenders are always worth less than their fretted counterparts. My guess is that, with the mods, it would bring you from $1000 to $1500.

4. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    That'd be my guess as well.

5. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine

DAmn, really? Here's mine...'72

Attached Files:

6. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI

Yep. Sold a sunburst '73, all original with orig case a year ago for $1900. They certainly dont go down in value

Rob

7. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Yup.

Except in your case, Chef.

Your bass is worth about $200.

Sorry.

8. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Shut it;)

9. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Sometimes I can't help myself.

10. glivanos

Jun 24, 2005
    Philadelphia Area
    Thank you everyone for your time and input.

The only thing I forgot to mention from my original post is that I do have a 73 Fender Pbass Maple Fretted neck that I put on it when I don't use it for fretless. I actually have in on now. And also I put the original bridge back on it. The picture shows it with a Badass II bridge which I took off and recently sold.

How would that impact its value? Sounds like it might be worth more with the fretted neck or with both necks.

11. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    With the fretted neck, you've just got a parts bass, even more. If you're really looking at getting rid of it, you'd do best by selling the 72 P as close to 'original' as you can...not much you can do with the pickups, but with the original bridge. And then you can sell the 73 P neck separately and get good cash for that too. You'll get more for the fretted neck by itself than you would for the fretless neck.

12. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida
    It's funny.. the '70s Fenders are worth that much pretty much because they're rare..yet.. everybody on TB owns one lol

13. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    Wow, that's a really neat bass, kind of like the Tony Franklin sig model, except better because I'm a sucker for bass pickups that aren't black.

14. glivanos

Jun 24, 2005
    Philadelphia Area
    PHXLBRMPF, you have a pm!