Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

'73 Jazz bass value

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Scot, Apr 10, 2004.

1. Scot

Scot Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2004
    Pacifica, CA, USA
    Hey all,
    I would like to get some opinions from you about what you think this bass might be worth. It's a '73 Fender Jazz body (serial number 412765) made of ash. It has a Moses Diamondwood graphite neck and I've replaced the original white pickguard with a black one. I've also replaced the original bridge and it now has one from a MIM Jazz. The neck has Schaller tuners. The body has not been routed or modified and has the original clear finiish. It has all the wear that you'd expect from a 30 year-old bass but is not beat up. The control cavity is large enough to fit a 9-volt battery in - it used to have a J-Retro. There's currently no pickups or pots installed. The neck is in almost new condition and is amazing. The installation was done by one of the best guitar repairmen in the San Francisco Bay area and he did a fantastic job. When it had a set of Barts and a J-Retro it was a fantastic sounding bass. Marcus Miller to the max and the playability is amazing. I bought the bass from a guy in Glendale, CA in 1987 and is was all original but, unfortunately, I was in my early twenties and replaced the neck and pickups and lost track of the originals. I would love to hear your opinions about what you think the bass is worth and please feel free to ask any questions about anything I may be leaving out. Thanks in advance and I hope it's an appropriate topic to post here.

-Scot

2. AJ Love

AJ Love

Oct 8, 2002
    Madison WI USA
    tough to say without the original neck and especially without pickups...mainly it depends on what a 70's bass body is worth...maybe $500, maybe more? then throw in a hundred or so for the neck and thats what you have as far as worth

someone else more knowledgeable might be able to give you more specifics but if you wanted to sell it you might have more success parting it out, i.e. selling the body seperately

3. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I think it would be worth more than that, i mean cmon $600? Thats less then a used '90 MIA jazz bass.

4. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Like AJ said, 500 bucks sounds about right. It has been altered as far as a 70's Fender goes and is missing all parts that matter ie neck,pups, pots, bridge and pickguard. There is nothing vintage left but a body. Imho it's worth maybe 500 bucks.

5. Scot

Scot Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2004
    Pacifica, CA, USA
    Thanks for the replies. Anyone else have any thoughts?

-Scot

6. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Yeah it's kind of a Frankenstein bass now. I'd have to go along with the other as far as value. But you never know, it's only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

7. I had a (professionally) refinished '72 with aftermarket Duncan vintage stacked humbuckers, a replacement bridge and pickguard. The neck was badly twisted, so I let it go for $100 plus a 1969 EB-0. Don't get your hopes up.

8. Check Ebay. Try searching for "1973 Jazz Bass" or "73 Jazz Bass" stuff like that. Best of luck.

9. bass_man86

bass_man86

Apr 29, 2002
    Virginia Beach
    Sorry Dude, that bass can hardly be called a Fender anymore. If you hade the original body and neck, it would command a lot more money. Lets face it, the soul of a bass is in the neck!

10. Scot

Scot Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2004
    Pacifica, CA, USA
    Anyone else have an opinion about what this bass is worth? I'm not so much interested in opinions about whether or not the bass should be "called" a "Fender" and I'm already painfully aware of the fact that the bass would be worth more if I still had the original parts. I just want to hear your opinions about what you think it might be worth because I'm thinking about trading for a decent newer 5 string and I don't want to offend anyone with an offer. Thanks in advance!

-Scot

P.S. The bass now has pots and a control cavity cover from Stewart McDonald.

11. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    I would suggest that you take the bass by Real Guitar, in the City and see what they say. There is also a used/second hand music shop in Berzerley. I've always though that they were pretty nice people in there.

Tell them that you are looking to sell it through the Chronicle and that you aren't looking for a trade-in value. Just beware they like any vintage shop can be brutal.

It's just really tough to assess a value of an instrument over the internet. I hope that makes sense.

12. I sold my beat up '76 Jazz a month ago for about 700USD. It had it's original neck but the Fender logo was removed, recently refretted, 3 piece Ash body striped of it's paint - bad job, changed the pickups to SD Antiquity II and gave the original pickups too. Yup, all for 700USD. Is this a fair guide?

13. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

And I bought a '87 MIJ Jazz 3 months ago in very good
    stock condition for $250 bucks used at GC.

[I could have a new one for 700-800. MIA.]

I cannot see this as a better value than 250, because of
    all the parts missing, and the mods that are needed.

I don't think 500 is attainable, but ...

You may just want to put Barts and parts back in
    it and play it while looking and saving for your next
    axe.

14. bass_man86

bass_man86

Apr 29, 2002
    Virginia Beach
    Sorry Bro. My bust. IMO, it's probably worth between $500 to $1000 tops. Without actually seeing it, it's hard to say. You might be better off just keeping it. Good luck!

15. Scot

Scot Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2004
    Pacifica, CA, USA
    Thanks a lot, guys. You've been very helpful. I bought an acoustic guitar from Chris at Real Guitars last year, so maybe I will take the bass down there to see what they say. Thanks for mentioning that, Jerry J.