1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

'73 P (A) neck, custom color question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by markob, Dec 7, 2011.

1. markob

markob

Mar 2, 2010
    North Cali
    Casually ;) looking at one. Very clean, killer pup output, real pricey:eek:. Anyone care to comment on these A neck P's ? I have owned a few 70's P basses but never an A width. I'm assuming the A width is a bit less common and I know the custom color would add a few pennies..Curious..

Mark

2. Farfetched

Farfetched

Jan 7, 2009
    Yea somewhat uncommon to have the A width. The do show up though. A width with cc, definitely rarer. Probably a special order back then?

3. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    I have a later 70s A necked P. The neck feels pretty similar to my jazz of the same year, minus the binding. The fretboard edges are pretty close, though the jazz may have a bit more of a curve to it while the P is more of a sharp edge (owing to the lack of binding) but the P is certainly just as comfortable.

4. Bibby

Bibby

Aug 24, 2000
    I have a 73 P with an "A" neck. Not a custom color, but that is fine by me as I prefer SB. I absolutely love this bass. It has been around the block a few times, but it sets up and plays beautifully. It is nice and light - I put some flats on it about 8 years ago and it just keeps getting better with age.

The pickup in mine is super hot as well, louder than the Dimarzio I have in another bass and those are notoriously loud.

If that bass plays as nice as mine I say buy it! Here are a few pics of mine.....

Attached Files:

5. markob

markob

Mar 2, 2010
    North Cali
    Yes Bibby,
    This one is black, maple board with lots of birds-eye, white guard, w/ stock thumb rest up on the bass side (actually my preference). Had to be a custom order. 9 out of 10 w/ OHSC also in great shape. Just under 3 large...:help:

6. bassfart

bassfart

May 5, 2008
    That's what I paid for my Oly White '73 with an A maple neck. Killer Bass!

7. coreyfyfe

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    Was black a custom color back then? Seems like a basic option to me, but who knows. The provide.net fender page seems to list it as custom.

Here is my 78, pretty close to your description but a black guard...

[​IMG]

8. coreyfyfe

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    The pickup in my A neck is very hot as well, much hotter than the pickup in my fretless, both made only a few months apart according to their neck stamps.

9. Bibby

Bibby

Aug 24, 2000
    Black with birdseye? Why is this not in your possession already?!:D

3 G's is a lot of jack....I paid $550 for mine - obviously not in 9 out of 10 condition.

Bee-yoo-ti-ful!!

10. muzikman7

muzikman7

Sep 16, 2004
    My '71 A neck Tonys71. I actually have another A neck waiting a body thats the thinnest Fender neck I've encountered.

11. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    At that time "custom color" simply meant "not Sunburst". Fender offered instruments in a variety of colors but 'burst was "standard" sonthey called everything else "custom". But it was nothing like a custom ship thing. The last three digits of the part number were the color. If the dealer didn't include those they shipped you a ' burst.

Same with the A neck- it was simply an option, though not well known so they're more rare. BTW, that only refers to the nut width and has nothing to do with the shape of the neck. B was standard at 1.625" but any dealer could order a Precision in an A neck (1.5") or a C neck at 1.75" like a PROPER Precision should have :)

That's not at all like what Fender now calls their "modern C"- that describes the neck contour, not the nut width.

John

12. BassIsBoss

BassIsBoss

Jun 25, 2007
    Nova Scotia
    If by pricey you mean over the 2K threshold, then color isn't the only concern. It should be relatively light (no mid 70's boat anchor) and sound like a million bucks, especially direct through the recording board. My Pre (A) looks like crap (thousand + gigs) and sounds like a million bucks, especially direct through the board...it's all about the sound.

13. markob

markob

Mar 2, 2010
    North Cali
    Thanks for the responses guys. A fine looking black on black maple coreyfyfe and Bibby that burst is all kinda cool. I can hear it. M7-very nice! BIB-Of coarse it's all about tone. I'm pretty much "through the board" exclusively these days. Had to sell my 57RI P for that reason. My Lull M4V is my measuring stick. Different animals I know. What intrigues me w/ this particular P is the A nut width. Played P's for years but with "mileage" (Arthritis) issues the 1.5" nut width is much more comfortable these days.