1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

'73 P bass pot I.D.

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by marstouguide, May 6, 2015.

1. marstouguide

marstouguide

Aug 20, 2007
    toronto
    I am in the midst of restoring a '73 P bass to as original as possible.
    I replaced the pick ups and wiring harness over 20 years ago and thought I kept everything.
    I dug through my parts bin and found the original pick ups but not sure if the pots I found are original.
    The pots look vintage but don't have the typical numbers on the bottom identifying the year.
    So my question is... Is there any chance these pots are the the originals?
    The pots are only marked on the side with 250K S-070 DJ B7
    Thanks.
    WP_20150506_002. WP_20150506_011.

2. Growlmonkee

Growlmonkee

Jan 30, 2013
    Florida, U.S.
    Just a guess.... 70's style CTS 250k, standard tension (07.0), ( 07.5 is their new standard tension, nowadays), the "B7" is 20% tolerance, audio 'H" taper ), ". Brass shaft, brass bushing, dish back. They don't use those round rivets anymore, and those look like bakelite, new ones use fiberglass (g10 I think). Those could well be the original pots, pots performing the same way are obtainable new, those exact ones probably aren't.
    (You could get brass bushing, brass shaft, dish back CTS 250K-S-07.5 B7 from one of the online electronics supply places, and they would sound the same, but not look period correct, or you could get CTS brass bushing, brass shaft 250k audio taper anywhere, like Ebay, not specific "H" taper, sounding the same, but possibly having a slightly different taper. or, open those, clean the tracks, and probably good to go.

Last edited: May 6, 2015
  3. marstouguide

marstouguide

Aug 20, 2007
    toronto
    Good to know that they could be the original, there is no other bass that has been in my collection that these could have come from.

I neglected to mention that I am looking to sell the bass and therefor think the more original it is the more value the bass would have.

4. Growlmonkee

Growlmonkee

Jan 30, 2013
    Florida, U.S.
    In the worst case, those are valuable, I mean even if they do not work, the metal bottoms with the numbers would work with the guts from new pots, (new dish back ones)

5. Cadfael

Cadfael

Jan 4, 2013
    Germany, EU
    Just a gues ...
    No, these are not the original ones ...

I don't mean the stamps but the soldering points ...
    They don't seem to be correct for a Fender instrument to me.
    Also: No soldering point on the right one and the rest of a red wire on the left one.

6. Growlmonkee

Growlmonkee

Jan 30, 2013
    Florida, U.S.
    Didn't think of the soldering, you have a good point Cadfael, even if they were original, but re-used, there should be a solder area on both. That soldering probably wouldn't pass qc, I figured things were changed, but, there still should be solder on both pots of a P bass. They are time period correct though.

7. marstouguide

marstouguide

Aug 20, 2007
    toronto
    Thanks for the replies!