Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

'73 P-bass. What's it worth?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Munjibunga, Dec 31, 2001.

1. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Today one of my partners was telling me that he's dating a girl who used to play bass in a band years ago. She brought over her '73 P-bass to show him. It's natural with a clear finish. He says it looks great, except a strip of damaged finish on the back, where it looks like maybe some glue in the original case attacked the finish. Has anyone seen what this vintage of P-bass is going for? Just curious.

He says she also has a Mustang bass that she thinks is a '59. Did they even make Mustangs in '59? I thought something like that might have some collector value, even if it isn't the best bass they ever made.

2. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    I'm fairly certain the Mustang first came out in 1966. It was their first short-scale bass.

3. blamkin

blamkin

Nov 28, 2001
    Broomfield, Co
    I just paid $625 for a natural/Maple '77 PBass. I know that the 73's are slightly more desirable. I've seen them as high as $1300, but I think it'd be somewhere between those two endpoints. Hope that helps. BassPalace.com has a '70 PBass for $995... so that corroborates my story. :D

4. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    $750 to $1000 depending on condition. The Mustang is not a '59.

5. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Munji, don't tell me that you are thinking about picking up a Uke-bass!

I love my '72 P. It's the lightest bass I own excet for my hollow-body Harmony. I've strung it with Thomastic Flats, based on your recommendation. Life is good when I run it through my little B15-N. Can you say "Jamerson"? This bass drives lesser SS amps crazy since it has so much output.

It looks like the prices are in the ballpark which I think is a steal when you look at the going rates for a new Amercan Series.

6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I thought '59 sounded a little early for a Mustang bass. More on this later.

Y'know, I've got the pickups out of my first bass, a '65 (pre-CBS) P-bass, that was stolen in about 1979. I had replaced them with DiMarzio's. Wonder what someone might pay for those. Maybe I ought to acquire the '73 and put the '65 pickups in it.

7. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    No doubt a cool '72. But as you probably know, seventies P basses had considerably different sounding p/u's than pre-CBS's. Quite a bit hotter, for one thing. You probably also know that Jamerson played a '62. The '72 would be a good thumper through that B15 but not exactly Jamersonville.

8. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Well that was an exageration;) I can, in no shape or form, play anywhere as cool as Mr. Jamerson, anyway.

Anyhow this is pretty close to an "old school" rig even with the hotter pickup.

9. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Agreed. Enjoy it, amigo.

10. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Hmmm..... My amp is a '67 blackface Bassman... Wonder how that '73 P would sound through it... :)