1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

'73 Pre Old and New Makeover

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by michael, Jul 28, 2012.

1. michael

michael

Mar 10, 2000
    I picked up a new stripped Squier body and neck in Metallic Red with a pooched truss rod and a new Warwick gig bag for $15. I decided to use the body to give my '73 Pre a makeover. The ash and maple bass is no lightweight. The alder Squier body is 1/4" thinner and quite a bit lighter so I was able to put my home made brass pickguard back into action and still keep it lighter overall.

The Squier neck is a little wider at the heel so it was no problem fitting the '73 neck into the Squier pocket. There was a little shim that I transferred from the Squier to the '73 that gave enough tilt to only have to raise the bridge saddles slightly.

I dremeled out the electronics cavity a bit to fit in the two nine volt batteries for the EMGs.

It seems stable. I haven't played it at gig mix levels yet, but I don't think anyone will be able to tell the difference. The body is lighter and softer but the brass pickguard actually does add brightness along with the weight. It doesn't seem any more resonant overall.

It was difficult to capture the deep red metallic in photographs and it changes quite a bit depending on the lighting. Not for everyone but with the maple neck and brass I think it worked out quite well.

As I've been playing it the past years in hard rock bands:

Black-on-White.

With the new body and brass all dressed up for r&b and blues:

Red-on-White.

Thanks for looking!

-m-

2. michael

michael

Mar 10, 2000
    Is this cringe inspiring? Beyond tacky? My gf just told me she thinks the other parts seem too good to go on the body. I've become a real Squier believer lately, and this is keeping my Pre from early retirement.. I assure you, no '70s Precisions were harmed in this project. Well, no more than it already is. ;)

3. PlungerModerno

PlungerModerno

Apr 12, 2012
    Ireland
    Cringe inspiring? It's sweet :cool: I might cringe if the pickguard reflects a stage light in my eyes but it's a real looker IMO.

4. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    I like the new look a lot, just make sure you save all the original 73 parts. Body included!

5. michael

michael

Mar 10, 2000
    Thanks, guys. I didn't know if it was too much of an act of sacrilege. I do have all the original '73 parts. I keep everything together and still have the hang tags, strap, and price list brochure from when I bought it new. There will be no disembodied parts floating around on ebay!

Anyways, it's nice to know that Fender/Squier has made a serious attempt at keeping to spec. Makes modding/returning to original so much easier.