1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

'73 Precision neck pocket... legit?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by wateroftyne, Jun 5, 2014.

1. Hi all

Just wondering if anyone has seen a 70s neck pocket stamp like the one on this '73 before. I haven't!

Is it legit?

Thanks for your help.

waynem.

2. Bump...

3. Anyone? One more bump before I give up on it :)

4. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 God of Thunder and Rock and Roll Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    I don't know the name but it looks legit. How about some pics of the whole bass?

5. Thanks, all. It's the font of the name stamp that has me puzzled. Never seen it that big before. The rest looks spot-on - I'll post more photos later. I'm at the negotiation stage :)

6. One Drop

One Drop

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
    Good luck, as you are well aware the early 70's Fenders can be some of the best vintage basses out there. I'm thinking of picking up P from that era myself before prices start to climb again.

My '73 J will stand up to any Fender out there, and the neck is like a rock.

7. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    +1

I've removed many Fender necks and I've never seen a stamp that big, nor have I seen that font used. In addition to that, the paint seems awfully heavy in the neck pocket. And there seems to be a shadow of something painted over surrounding the blank spot left by the stick. I'd be cautious on this.

godofthunder59 and AGH like this.
  8. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    Yep. I had a 73, and it was very similar.

9. Gravedigger Dav

Gravedigger Dav Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Interesting that at the time (early 70s), the current Fender models were considered sub standard. The hot item was "pre CBS".
    But, you can't judge an entire year on one bass. Any any run of production models, there will be outstanding instruments and others that should be used to test a wood chipper.

10. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    There's also a dividing line that runs through 1973...there are some 'model changes that happen towards the 1974 production year. So, really the basses that run 1968-1973 are of the same general era/quality then the stuff that is late 1973-early 80's is of similar era/quality. I always felt that the attention to build quality, wood quality, etc. changes with that 73/74 line. The basses become heavier in my opinion certainly. I've talked to a handful of vintage players, collectors and dealers who have agreed with this.

One Drop likes this.
  11. kokorollc

kokorollc

May 22, 2008
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1402075675.483196.

My 72

12. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    There. That^^ is what I would normally expect to see.

Though the marks do differ. This is a '72 I sold recently -

img3075w.

13. Gravedigger Dav

Gravedigger Dav Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Fort Worth, Texas
    That may be. My comment had no opinion on quality. I was only offering a perspective based on being an active player in that time frame. I was playing a 72 P then, but most bassists at the time were looking for pre CBS models. I wish I still had that bass.

14. neckdive

neckdive

Oct 11, 2013
    I agree about the font being a tell. Compare the "M" in the Wayne M vs the "M" in Chambers (which is correct for that year). Totally different typeface. I don't think its legit.

15. Cheers, everyone!

I'm pretty well versed in my early 70s P's & J's which is why this rang alarm bells. I think I'll leave it. ..

16. Robert B

Robert B Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2000
    Hampton, Va USA
    Off topic, but that tort is beautiful! Looks like fire.

17. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 God of Thunder and Rock and Roll Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    Yeah you are right!

18. Thanks, everyone.

I've gone off the idea now,which is a shame as that's the only part of it that's making me nervous. The rest looks fine.

Here's some more pics for what it's worth.

waynem2.
    waynem3.
    waynem4.

19. Stackpole

Stackpole

Mar 20, 2016
    IMG_1982.PNG IMG_1916.JPG IMG_1920.PNG IMG_1921.PNG IMG_1964.PNG