Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

'73 Ric 4001 - Sanity Check

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by peabody, May 25, 2005.

1. peabody

peabody Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2002
    La Crosse, WI
    Hey...

I have on the way a late '73 Rickenbacker 4001 (JetGlo) that I was able to purchase for $865 (pic attached). Since it is a late '73 (November 1973 according to the serial number), it doesn't have the checkerboard binding or the Grover tuners like some of the early '73's did. According to the person I bought it from it has had one pick-up replaced and also the knobs, pots and switch replaced...all with genuine Ric parts. However, it does come with the original case and apparently he purchased the bass 2 years ago from the original owner. It appears to be in good shape, but I'm having this "too good to be true" feeling. I realize this isn't an "all original" bass, but I have to think it's worth a little more than what I'm paying. Any input?

2. Mike McGibney

Mike McGibney Not impossible ... Inevitable

Apr 13, 2005
    Essex, UK.
    I'm no expert on Ricks, but I would pay that in a second! I think you'll be okay.

Congratulations on your purchase!

3. Sounds like a pretty fair deal to me.
    The only thing i noticed in my experience what really brings values of Rics down that i seen is when you change the parts for non-Ric parts.
    If your getting it for around 865$ I think thats pretty good. Most 70's stuff i see now is going closer too or a bit above 1000$

4. Mike McGibney

Mike McGibney Not impossible ... Inevitable

Apr 13, 2005
    Essex, UK.
    Oh, also, remember I'm in the UK, and we're constantly being made to be higher prices than you lucky Americans!

5. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    the Rick,s look very beautifull,and they sound so nice

6. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Toronto
    $865.00 is a very good price for the bass. If it had vintage features such as checkered binding, full with MOP inlays, split tailpiece, toaster neck p/u like the Jan-April 73's had, it's value would be closer to the $2k mark (depending on its condition and colour). I've seen Aug-Dec 73 4001's selling for between $1000-1300.00 They sell very quickly because the neck profile and width on these were the best RIC ever produced, and bass players want that.

Enjoy your bass. You have the satisfaction of knowing that you own a classic and it's value will continue to increase.

TD
    :cool:

7. Rezdog

Rezdog Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    T.Rez, Canada
    Greetings from the North,
    Too good to be true? Ya it is. Keep that one you lucky dog you.
    Rezdog