Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

'73 Rickenbacker 4001 - JetGlo

Discussion in '[OLD FORUM] Bass Guitars, Amps, and Accessories: F' started by peabody, Jun 6, 2005.

1. peabody

peabody Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2002
    La Crosse, WI
    New Price - $1100!!

Hello All!

I just picked up this bass and I have discovered it's not going to work for me. I had a 4001 in the late 70's and I swear it had a thinner neck...I've turned into a "jazz-neck" kind of guy, and this 4001 neck is a little too thick for me. Enough about me...let's talk about the bass....

This is a vintage (November '73) 4001 JetGlo. According to the person I bought it from, it has only had 2 owners (I'm the 3rd) and the original owner used it for studio work only. The person I bought it from put about $250 into it by replacing the bass pick up, the pots, and the switch and he used genuine Ric replacement parts. I have noticed that someone has also put in a brass nut at some point in time. The bass does have a few dings here and there, but considering it is over 30 years old, it looks pretty good. It comes with the original tolex case (which has a couple of Eastern Airline "Fragile" stickers), but all the latches work and it is in very good condition.

Since this bass was made later in 1973 (November), it doesn't have the checkerboard binding, toaster pickups, or Grover tuners, but it is still a great vintage bass. My 2005 Vintage Guitar Price Guide book prices the '73 4001's from $1800 to $1900. I'd be willing to let it go for $1100 shipped to the continental U.S. I just had new set of strings put on and had it professionally set up....it is ready to rock and roll! I prefer payment through a postal money order, but I will consider PayPal for an additional 3%. Please e-mail me at peabody59@hotmail.com if you have any questions or would like any additional pics. Thanks for looking!!

Dave

2. peabody

Oct 31, 2002
    La Crosse, WI
    A couple of additional pics....

3. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

God. If I didn't already own a 4003, and have two more basses on order, I'd be all OVER that! :D

Nice bass. Can't for the life of me think why you'd be selling it. You may regret this someday . . . :meh:

4. peabody

Oct 31, 2002
    La Crosse, WI
    It plays good and sounds good, it just isn't working for me. I had a '72 P-Bass I got rid of for the same reason (I'm sure I'll regret selling that one too). After playing my 1.5" nut basses (Jazz, Sadowsky, Sterling, etc.), I have a hard time playing the wider necks...even though they aren't that much wider....they just feel different. I bought this 4001 trying to bring back the memories of my youth....I swear the 4001 I had back in the late 70's had a thin neck....but now that I think about it, I don't remember much about the late 70's. ;) Anyway, this will be a great bass for someone.

5. peabody

Oct 31, 2002
    La Crosse, WI
    Bump with new price....

6. peabody

Oct 31, 2002
    La Crosse, WI
    Sale pending.....