1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

'74-'76 Ibanez "Lawsuit" PJ. Which Hipshots?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by phillipmorephil, Apr 5, 2009.

1. phillipmorephil

phillipmorephil

Apr 10, 2007
    I'm upgrading my '74-'76 Ibanez Silver Series PJ. I've decided on Bill Lawrence pickups, and will be ordering those soon, but I need to replace the tuners, because they don't have a very high ratio, and they slip out of tune. In a similar vein, can anyone point me to a vol--vol--tone schematic for a PJ? Ibanez put this one together with a volume-tone and three-way switch.

I dunno what Hipshot tuners to buy! I like Hipshot because of their super-high ratio, and my pops's Lakland has Ultralites on it, and they never slip out. I don't want to drill new holes for the tuners, but I suppose I will if I have to. I'll post pictures when I can. Can anyone help me out based on that information alone?

Thanks,
    Phil

2. phillipmorephil

phillipmorephil

Apr 10, 2007
    Anyone at all? I'm desperate!

3. Pics would help, I think.

4. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    Sorry, I can't help you about the Hipshots, but I'm sure you can make them work. Any bass I've had them on I've been happy with for ease and accuracy of tuning.

I am particularly interested in how you like the Bill Lawrence pickups. The ones I've tried I've really liked, but I've never owned a bass with them. Could you keep us posted when you get them installed?

5. phillipmorephil

phillipmorephil

Apr 10, 2007
    Yeah, you bet I'll keep you guys posted. I heard they take 'round five weeks to ship? Believe I'll order them tomorrow. I'll try to get pictures today or tomorrow.

Also, can anyone help me with the PJ vol-vol-tone schematics? I'm an absolute beginner with electronics.

6. phillipmorephil

phillipmorephil

Apr 10, 2007
  7. phillipmorephil

phillipmorephil

Apr 10, 2007
    Bass_Tuner_by_PrayerPosition36.
    Bass_Tuners_by_PrayerPosition36.
    Bass_Body_by_PrayerPosition36.

Thought I'd share the third one anyhow. Note that the p-style pickup is closer to the neck than usual.

8. phillipmorephil

phillipmorephil

Apr 10, 2007
    Can anyone help me out? I would really appreciate it. I would like to replace my current tuners as soon as possible.

9. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Measure the headstcok hole diameters, and fill with whatever Hiphost style you prefer that is made for that hole size. Simple.

10. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    WA...
    Chances are high you will have to do new holes, maybe. Those look smaller then Fender type tuner plates, more along the lines of Rics, my two old Ibanezes have smaller tuner plates as well, but I've never needed to replace them.

What I would do is take measurements for the tuner plate, and the screw hole spacing in the plate and email it to Hipshot and see what they say.

11. phillipmorephil

phillipmorephil

Apr 10, 2007
    Will taking these measurements require me to take the tuner off?

12. Billw97

Billw97

Feb 4, 2005
    Hipshot Tech
    Hi Phil,
    I hate to say this, but we don't have direct replacement tuners for your bass. These are the same style that Fender uses on their Japanese ri basses. The biggest problem would be the string posts, they are 7/16" and would require the string post hole to be reamed and new mounting holes drilled.

Bill

13. phillipmorephil

phillipmorephil

Apr 10, 2007
    What exactly does "reamed" mean?

14. NOT gonna touch that one.
    I will, however, bump this w/pretty much the same dilemma; I just got a 77 Ibanez Lawsuit Precision from Quadzilla, and the D-string's tuner is missing the bushing(no fault of the seller). Although it's hardly noticeable visually, under tension the post leans over enough to make the action very rough. Hipshot Ultralites will fit, but I want the big cloverleaf/elephant ear for the original look. Any suggestions would be appreciated.