Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

'74 Epiphone Rivoli

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 5stringDNA, Feb 10, 2003.

1. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    There has been an original 74' Epiphone Rivoli hollow body sitting in the music store i take lessons at for a few months now, and every time i go in there I can't help but play thing for a few minutes before I leave. Normally I wouldn't think about getting a standard 4, cause I love having my low B, and I also am not particularly fond of epiphone, but, this particular one seems to eb calling my name. It has that gorgeous smooth thump DB tone when you use the tailpiece dampener and the flatwounds on it, and the dual vintage humbuckers have a very cool tone. Has anyone had any experience with these basses? This is the only original one I have seen in person, much less played. They want $370 for it and its in very good shape for the age-not rashed or chipped, etc. Is this this decent pricewise? I don't much cash at all to spare right now, so I'm hoping it sits there for awhile longer and I can talk the store down some on the price if this isn't a good deal already. Any info on these thigns quality/pricewise is appreciated!

2. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Nobody knows squat about this thing?? I sure have a knack for starting dead threads...

3. msb

msb

Jul 3, 2002
    Halifax,N,S. Canada
    That price seems pretty good to me.....Rivoli's are not the most versatile bass but they do pack a great thump and they are a lot of fun to play.It is one of the least used basses I own but I would not part with it.If it speaks to you -get it.

4. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Cool. I figured it wasn't the most versatile toned thign in the world, but the deep thump is what I was really after anyway.

5. AltIII

AltIII

Sep 3, 2002
    I've never played a Rivoli, but I have played a Jack Cassidy, has a great feel and sound...even unplugged.