Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

'74 Fender Fretless Precision

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bacid, Dec 12, 2005.

1. I played a '74 fretless Precision today. It was the most beautiful thing I have ever seen. It was purple with a metal mirror pickguard and nylon tapewound strings. The neck felt so smooth. I didn't have time to plug it in, but it sounded like magic acoustically so I didn't even want to plug it in. There was no price tag so i thought it was free. I was so happy, and then the guy there said it was $1100 :bawl: I just thought that I would share my tale with you and see if you guys had any input about why the 70's precisions are so much more magical than the present day precisions.

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    They're heavy and inconsistent. Usually referred to as the worst period of Fender basses, but they're magical to me too. If you get a good one, don't EVER let go.

3. lol i love irony, ive played some old fenders from time to time that i guess could have been from that time period, but i just plain don't like fenders all my cents are worthless :bag: :bag:

4. I wouldnt say the earlier 70's fenders were bad. Its more the late 70's ones that are heavy and inconsistant.

5. I bought my 75 P-Bass in 79
    Used, from a pawn shop
    Ash body, maple neck
    Changed the pick-ups to Active EMGS and put a Badass Tailpiece on it, other than that it's original; numbers matching
    Strung with DM Flats (flattest flats I have found to date) that have not been changed in 15 years, and I have no intention of ever changing 'em.

This is the best Bass I have ever played.

I will treasure it forever, the neck is magical, smooth, straight and the action is low from the 1st to the 20th fret.

The sustain is insane, and has more tone than any other instrument I own or have owned in the past (dont wanna try to compare it to my 1929 National Steel Body Guitar).

Vintage Fenders are magical instruments, there is a reason why every Bass player that matters owns at least one, or should.