1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

74 jazz bass pickup, don't read but it sounds!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by bassvid75, May 19, 2011.

1. bassvid75

bassvid75

Jan 13, 2008
    hi,

last night me and my tech friend wired both 74 jazz pickups on the bass that on a multimeter don't read nothing but pluged sounds ok!

he's a professional and he couldn't believe on this if won't appenned,anyone with similar situation?

2. Rumblefisher

Rumblefisher

Aug 22, 2007
    Astoria, NY
    Broken multimeter?

3. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's Supporting Member

Measured incorrectly. Check to see that the meter's battery is good. A working battery in the meter is necessary to read Ohms. For Volts it isn't.

Meter should be on the k Ohms scale. Touch the two probes together - the meter should go to 0. Pickups should read around 10K Ohms.

4. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    or you've got two open-coil pickups, which won't read, but will still make some sound, albeit a thin, zero-low end sound.

5. bassvid75

bassvid75

Jan 13, 2008
    hi,

the multimeter was fine,we tryed several multimeters included one analogic.

and we measure another pickup(telecaster) and read 6.7ohms

we tryed all the possibilities and both was "dead",its really understandable.

6. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    You have an open coil (break) in the pickup. This is why you aren't getting a resistance reading.

The reason it still produces sound is because the windings are capacitively coupled. Usually you get a thin weak tone when this happens.

7. bassvid75

bassvid75

Jan 13, 2008
    i plugged the 74jazz and compare to my 76precision and i can't notice any significant diference between both.
    i do believe in what you're saying, is there anything to save these pickups?

thanks,

Pedro

8. SGD Lutherie

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    They probably have to be rewound.

However, sometimes they can be revived by re-soldering the lead wires where they pass through the eyelets. Also sometimes there is a break at the hookup leads, and that can be repaired.

Otherwise a rewind will do it.

9. bassvid75

bassvid75

Jan 13, 2008
    i try them on loud amp the there are diferent output from the precision to the jazzbass :-(

thanks for your help.

Pedro

10. SGD Lutherie

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    There are a number of pickup makers that can rewind those to spec. It's somewhat common for the old pickups to fail because the magnets were not insulated, and the insulation brakes down on the wire and causes the copper to corrode when in contact with the magnets, which have aluminum in them.

But people like Jason Lollar, Lindy Fralin and myself, offer rewinding services.

11. bassvid75

bassvid75

Jan 13, 2008
    thanks a lot for the help,
    can you tell how much could cost me for you to rewind them?
    i live in Portugal,i suppose i'll need to ship them...

cheers,
    Pedro