1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

74 P, homemade relic damage

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Rayjay, May 25, 2020.

1. Rayjay

Rayjay If that’s even my real name.. Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2014
    Lahaina, Maui, HI
    I picked up a sweet 8.5# ‘74 P for a killer deal locally. When I checked it out in person I saw the sandpaper areas, but it was still a great deal. I’d seen the bass live and in pictures before and never noticed these spots, so I figured it was worth the money. And it sounds killer and has a U-shaped A-width neck.

Check out the rub marks in the pictures. Would I be crazy to lay some light rattle can black gloss on just the smallest areas with some light passes? Talk me out of that if it’s a bad idea. B809EDBD-DA72-4F5F-8E01-6B90E813EE97.jpeg 0E763EEB-EE37-4730-AC54-7FAEF95209DC.jpeg 3E926F8F-27FB-4F35-A21B-11F2F19C955A.jpeg 0D1D3D21-DC77-487E-9C65-DFE1470C5761.jpeg D3C678C6-9EDE-4787-8BE5-663A40A793E4.jpeg 807A8B60-5435-4816-B5BF-E41AB13A9DCD.jpeg 9F925A20-39A0-4E4E-85B5-21784FC51126.jpeg

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Imho it'll look cheesy. But I have no idea what to do short of a refin.

robert43, pcake, iammr2 and 17 others like this.
  3. I know what you'd do -- paint it black! :D

4. elgranluis

elgranluis

Feb 14, 2003
    Vail, CO
    Just leave as-is. I think the overspray will only make it look worse.

TrustRod, jd56hawk, MCF and 22 others like this.
  5. Eli Brockway

Eli Brockway

Oct 1, 2019
    Unless the instrument is rendered unplayable or entirely inappropriate to show, don't try to cover up the marks of its history and former owners—even if they didn't come nearly as naturally as any of us would prefer.

6. ajkula66

ajkula66

Sep 23, 2016
    NEPA
    The way I see it, you'll have to either learn to live with the relic job, or strip the bass entirely. There's really not much else one can do with the thick poly finish of a '70s Fender.

Good luck.

robert43, pcake, Adjectives and 5 others like this.
  7. Volker Kirstein

Volker Kirstein Blippy the Wonder Slug

I really hope it was as killer a deal as you say!

That cracked/bent pickguard is going to have to be replaced, anyway, right? The whole "relic job" is hideous and amateurish, IMO. "Touching it up" is more challenging than a complete refin, and may end up looking worse. I would refin the whole thing. Headstock, too.

BUT!!!

Since you never noticed the "craftsmanship" live, or in pictures, it's a safe bet no one else in the audience is gonna notice it if/when you bring it on stage. So the question becomes: can you live with it?

pcake, plong123, copacetic and 3 others like this.
  8. lowphatbass

lowphatbass **** Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    I’d maybe try to knock the sandpaper marks down carefully with some compound...other than that the damage is pretty much done. Trying to lay some black paint around the edges is a bad idea IMO.

Jaymo, Kro, pcake and 11 others like this.
  9. Ghastly

Ghastly

Oct 18, 2015
    Mill Valley
    Agreed. Either a refin or try heavily buffing it. The sandpaper scratches are the worst part of it.

10. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Masks, people, masks!
    Song Surgeon slow downer.
    Ask @johnk_10 if he could touch it up and do a real relic job on it.

Or just leave it and play it.

Hey, there a rattle can refinish thread around here somewhere. See what those TBr's have to say.

SpyderX and dkelley like this.
  11. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    I wouldn't touch it that bass is 46 yrs old and those beauty marks whether inflicted intentionally or not mean something don't cover them up.

12. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    give a great try at masking and if it still sucks go for a better looking total refin'd burst

13. Thumpin6string

Thumpin6string Supporting Member

Apr 25, 2013
    Redding CA
    Actually you CAN refinish it without stripping it. I've been refinishing and painting guitars and basses for over 20 years and have done several without stripping. Without going into exact details, you sand the guitar, prime any bare spots or repairs, sand the primer and refinish. The old poly is actually a decent substrate. I refinished my 73 Jazz from sunburst to black without stripping. I sold it to a vintage instrument dealer many years ago and even though I told him it was a refinish, he told me it wasn't. He was wrong.

I can't figure out what the previous owner of the OP's bass was thinking, but he sure messed it up IMHO.

PWRL, Stumbo, EatS1stBassist and 7 others like this.
  14. ajkula66

ajkula66

Sep 23, 2016
    NEPA
    Good for you.

I'm going by what I've learned over the past 40+ years that I've been around Fender guitars and basses from various eras.

15. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    bobyoung53, Curtbass and Adjectives like this.
  16. M0ses

M0ses

Sep 11, 2009
    Los Angeles
    That's a real hackjob alright. Looks pretty stupid up close but it doesn't make a different sound.

A rattle can will bring you regret. Taking the easy way out when painting, whatever shortcut you try, it doesn't work. It'll only make it worse. Just leave it. Let her be proud of her battle scars. You rescued her from an abusive home. Now accept her flaws and all.

frankgacy, Cal68, pcake and 6 others like this.
  17. It looks gnarly up close, but from a distance, on a dark stage? I think without a proper refin from an experienced individual, you'll only really end up regretting. I say either pay for that, or leave it as is.

M0ses likes this.
  18. Rabidhamster

Rabidhamster

Jan 15, 2014
    Don’t do it. Get some guitar scratch remover at most to work on all the scratches where there’s still paint but don’t get the stuff on the bare wood. I’ve done it and it was fine but the bottle says it’ll stain so I guess don’t.

can I see a photo of the back of the headstock, please?

Also it looks like some of those sanded areas took out dents. Sure it looks ugly Up close but maybe there was Some sharp cracks in those areas they wanted smoothed out.

Looks great from playing position I say love it as is! I would.

Ace Of Bass likes this.
  19. JvJazz83

JvJazz83

Aug 6, 2017
    Norway
    Disclaimer: I am not profficient in these things, but have read and watched a lot regarding finish repairs in the past few years.:whistle:
    If you are cool with the relic look on the bass, and just want to cover up the sandpaper and dremel griding wheel(?) marks, I guess you could try to buff it out using some real fine sandpaper (up to 1000 or even 2000 grit), with wet sanding and maybe some kind of buffing wheel/ compound at the end. to smooth out the sanding marks.
    I've seen this done sucsessfully on cars with severe "orange peel" finish, so it should work on a poly coat I guess.:rolleyes::eyebrow::)

20. Roxbororob

Roxbororob Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2015
    Montreal
    I 3rd (4th or 5th) the "just buff" suggestions.

Edit: Nice bass!