1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

74 Telecaster P bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassbully, Oct 15, 2009.

1. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    Played one today that in a local shop. I think the price is decent from the searches i did $1799.00. Its a nice bass but it has a big neck. Honey blond nicely faded and natural reliced but not beat up at all for the age. The humbucker is different..thoughts?
    I am still gassing for a vintage P and need to get one before i kick the bucket...its a must do for me:(

2. One Drop

One Drop

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
    Personally the later Teles do nothing for me- I'm not a fan of the humbuckers on these.

Now is a good time to find a relative bargain on an early '70s P- there are some absolute beauties around, but I would advise trying before buying if possible. I think they were more consistently well built up to and including 1973, early '74. Owners of later ones please don't flame me- there are great ones from every era.

3. bassbully

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    Is that a fair price?

4. Jefenator

Jefenator Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2008
    Oregon
    The price doesn't sound great, but also not *too* steep. (Good luck getting a veritable "score" in any store, anymore... :rolleyes:)

If the thing really sang & had mojo, I'd be tempted. (I tried an Indonesian-made Squier copy in a pawn shop last winter and it really opened my eyes to the potential of this design. Sounded huge...)

If the stock p/u isn't quite rocking your world, the bass might be a good candidate for a Dark Star! :bassist:

5. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    Yeah, I think I'd snag it if it played really good. Did it "speak to you"?

You could also score a decent 70's Precision for around that price off Ebay, of course, you wouldn't be able to play it first...

6. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    If you're simply gassing for a vintage P, for 1800 bucks you can still find regular split-coil P's from the same era for the same price. Those mudbucker Tele's are just that...really muddy comparatively! I've never liked their sound.

7. bassbully

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    Ya it spoke to me and for the music i do the tone is good..americana,folk rock. It is in VG-G condision all original with OHSC. Stay tuned ;)