'75 Fender Jazz RI in Lake Placid blue, just ordered (pic)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by um... yeah, May 24, 2004.

1. Hi ppl,

....Haven't been here in ages so greetings are in order.
    Well anyway, I just did something I'd swear I'd never do. I bought this moments ago from Buffalo Bros after seeing it on their site. *giggles*
    I've never done this before as I come from the old school of "try before you buy", maybe I'm looking for reassurnce, lol. :help:

I phoned in the order and was told it was not a typo and the bass is a beauty. Paid $1199! - why so cheap? Unpopular colour? Slow seller?
  2. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I believe thats the goin rate for all the reissues.
  3. Big fan of Lake Placid Blue.

not such a big fan of matching headstocks.

Nice lookin' bass, good score!

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Very Nice, congrads on such a sweet looking bass. :bassist:
  5. If it were any other colour, I'd agree. But I've seen Lake Placid blue up close and it's very nice, not at all dark like in the pic. And where I'm from you just don't see these around!
  6. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    That is beautiful! Congrats!
  7. pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    That's a nice bass, at even a nicer price! I have a CAR 75RI FSR bass and it ran me almost $1500.00 about 2 years ago. Welcome to the club!
  8. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    i bought a natural 75 RI from Guitar Center last year.

around $1800!!!

my favorite Fender with the Geddy Lee right behind.

i loved everything about it. sometimes i would just sit and stare at it.

i returned it only because of the price.

i like the blue.

A+ price snag for a new 75RI!!!!

you'll love it as long as it hasn't been hanging on the store wall too long.

9. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Congrats!!! That's a nice bass.
  10. natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    I paid about $1270 for my RI at GC (straight out of the box into my hands so it wasn't abused).
  11. elgranluis

elgranluis Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2003
    El paso, TX

sorry to burst the bubble here. Although it is a great looking bass and everything, it is not the us reissue. It is the 70s factory special run. Those actually go for 1099. 100 bucks dont make a great difference, so what you paid is ok. i think those are a great alternative to the reissue versions, kinda like the best bang for the buck. Congrats.
  12. Thanks for the info. I didn't realize there was such a model, I just assumed it was from their American vintage series. Looks like I may be returning this one. :eyebrow:
  13. Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    If you like it whats the point in returning it?
  14. We'll see...I was counting on getting a direct replacement for my '74 jazz as it's just getting to be a pain to hold up and I've been wanting an American Vintage series, so the quality is paramount for me. I guess I'm a real stickler for authenticity. :rolleyes:
    In Canada we don't get these versions, and for the money I will be paying, I might just be better off getting the one I want here. That is if this one doesn't blow me away.

I found a thread on Fender's FDP forum that mentions an FSR that someone else ordered in CAR (did you get that?), here it is:

i also own one of these basses,my only queston is the add at sam ash where i bought mine says the body is solid ash,i talked to the rep at fender his name was mark anthony and this is the e-mail he sent:

here you go ted

Model Name: Fender FSR ‘75 Jazz Bass
    Model Number: 017-4300-(809)
    Series: American Vintage Series
    Body: Alder
    Neck: Maple,
    (Poly-Urethane Finish)
    Fingerboard: Rosewood, (7.25” Radius/184 mm)
    No. of Frets: 20 Vintage Size
    Scale Length: 34” (864 mm)
    Width @ Nut: 1.500” (38 mm)
    Hardware: Chrome
    Machine Heads: Standard
    Bridge: J-Bass
    Pickguard: 3-Ply White Pearloid
    Pickups: Vintage Jazz Bass Single Coils (Mid & Bridge)
    Pickup Switching: N/A
    Controls: Volume 1. (Neck Pickup), Volume 2. (Bridge Pickup), Master Tone
    Colors: (809) Candy Apple Red,
    (Polyurethane Finish)
    Strings: Fender Super Bass 7250ML, #073-7250-005, (.045, .065, .080, .100)
    Unique Features: Matching Painted Headstock,
    White Binding with Pearloid Block Position Inlays,
    "Bullet” Truss Rod Adjustment,
    3-Bolt Neck Plate with Tilt Adjustment Feature
    Source: CORONA (US)
    Accessories: Black Tolex Case
    U.S. MSRP: $2,199.99
    Specs: Prices and Specifications Subject to Change Without Notice
    INTRODUCED: 2/2002
    COMMENTS: Limited run for the European Market in 2002
    WRENCH SIZES: Truss rod and tilt adjust wrenches:
    3/32" 0018622000
    1/8" X 1-1/4" X 2-3/4" 0023811000

in the e-mail he clearly states the body is alder ? food for thought.

It seems as though THAT bass is the U.S. made American Vintage series, just with a different finish and alder as the wood. I gotta make a phone call.
  15. pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    The CAR bass is a MIA Bass. I spoke to Fender myself about this bass. When it comes to the LPB and the white 70's FSR RI I am unsure of the origin of this bass (my bass was marketed as a 75RI and these are marketed as a 70's RI). The lower prices on the last two models may mean something. Just call Fender, I find them more than helpful and willing to answer any question. Japan did make a 75RI bass but the bridge pup was in the normal position and not closer to the bridge.
  16. Well I was on the phone with someone at Fender who was somewhat helpful. I gave him the serial and apparently the bass I bought was not a '75 RI, but a "70's RI Limited Edition". They now come in CAR, LPB, OLW and all are made in the U.S. for the export market.

For the record:
    The 70's version almost identical to the '75, but with more general 70's appointments taken from that general era and not specific to one year (if I understood him correctly). Honestly I cannot tell the difference from the photos, but I'm guessing the body radii (a little sharper like the newer fenders) and other minor details may be the only difference these basses.

Either way, I'm dying to play this thing when it comes so maybe I'll shut up now. :cool: :bassist:
  17. Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    Sound aside & playability, I don't think you'll find a better looking Jazz, that thing is stylin' :bassist:
  18. byrdsfan

Feb 9, 2004
    I really like that blue. Ive seen shots where it looks lighter too.
    I just got a 57P RI (red) off ebay and love it. My guitar teacher flipped when he saw it.