1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

'75 FENDER JAZZ (RI MIJ) vs. FENDER MARCUS MILLER JAZZ BASS ???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mb94952, Sep 9, 2008.

1. mb94952

mb94952 Endorsing Artist : SFARZO STRINGS

I AM NARROWING IT DOWN TO EITHER A '75 FENDER JAZZ BASS RE-ISSUE MADE IN JAPAN, OR A MARCUS MILLER JAZZ BASS. I PLAY SLAP, AND FUSION, AND I DON'T KNOW WHICH ONE TO END UP WITH. I OWN A COUPLE PASSIVE JAZZ BASSES, WHICH I LOVE, BUT I HAVE GAS !!!!!

ANY FIRST HAND EXPERIENCE COMPARISONS ? :hyper:

2. dezspet

dezspet

Mar 21, 2007
    Hungary
    75 RI is a great bass, but if you play slap and fusion go for the MM IMO! 75RI is a funk factory, also great for slap, but you will appreciate the faster neck and the preamp of the MM. Unless you want that real vintage seventies' sound. Take into consideration the difference in weight too (ash/maple 75 RI is quite heavy).

3. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    The MIJ/CIJ 75RI bass is that in name only! It has 60's pup spacing and so called "vintage" pups. WTH are "vintage pups? The MIA version has "vintage 75" pups which are the correct pups of that era! The MIJ/CIJ bass is basically a 60's jazz with an ash body! The MM bass is actually a 70's bass from that funk period with a pre=amp added.

4. kenjikun

kenjikun

Apr 27, 2008
    Japan
    Sorry to disagree. Japanese made Fender RI has two versions: Those with ash or alder body has USA made vintage pickup while those with basswood body has Japanese made vintage type pickup. These can also be identified with a sticker on the pickguard on those with USA made pickup and are more expensive. My CIJ '70 RI P-bass has ash body and USA Vintage pickup while my previous '62 RI has basswood body and Japanese vintage pickup. There is also a '62 RI with Dimarzio pickup as factory installed.

Here are a couple of CIJ '75 RI with USA Vintage pickup

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And this is a CIJ Precision '62 RI with DiMarzio

[​IMG]

5. Timboech

Timboech

Sep 4, 2008
    Vienna
    Got a 75 Reissue USA made - best neck ever, great vintage sound. As it lacks bottom I added a Sadowsky pedal preamp. Now I get trough with lots of bottom.

The Japanes 75 has a slightly thicker neck and heavier weight. Give the 75 USA a try.

6. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    I've never felt the MIJ 75RI to be slap machine...it just never sounded like the vintage stuff I had/have. The MIA 75RI has much more punch and stronger sounding pickups, and the tone is convincing.

I still have the set of MIJ 75 pickups sitting in my parts box, and there's nothing 'vintage USA' about them. I had the ash body, maple board version, and my two MIA RI Jazzes ate it alive.