75 jazz, japanese reissue opinion's??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Theexploitbass, May 31, 2005.

1. I really want a 75 jazz, the american is very expensive. But the japanese are like half the price but with pretty much the same features, wood/pups etc. Is there a real difference??

Plus what finish do i have..

natural, white inlays and black pickguard maple neck or 3 tone sunburst MN

or... the same natural or 3TB but with the rosewood neck and white inlays???
  2. Ben Rose

Ben Rose

Jan 12, 2004
    I had one with the 3-tone sunburst. It was a good bass, but I would get a Lakland DJ4 before I got one of these again.
  3. the lakland looks nice, but the control plate looks weird?? the body shape seems to be a little weird as well. looks lovely but i would prefer the Fender, purely because its a Fender, i want the "real" thing. sorry bit nobish of me i know.
  4. Ben Rose

Ben Rose

Jan 12, 2004
    Understandable. The control plate is slightly curved. The DJ4 does have 2 extra frets and a contoured heel. That's why I prefer it to the Fender.
  5. doesnt the current bass player for incubus use one?? I seem to remember than blue finish and bridge shape on the redrocks DVD. I must admit i was very impressed by his sound rather fat but very clear. Even when he was double stopping on the lower register it didnt sound at all muddy. Perhaps i should try a few, are they similar in price to that of the japanese Fenders??
  6. toad

Jun 26, 2002
    I had both, here are the differences I noticed:

- Different pickups (MIJ says USA pups, but don't know which ones they are), not that significant to my ears
    - The oversized headstock on the MIA
    - The MIJ has a slightly wider body
    - Different bridge pup placement. MIA has the period correct placement closer to the bridge.
    - The MIA has a 7.25" radius on the fingerboard. The MIJ has a flatter radius, I forget the exact measurement.

That's pretty much it. For me, I think the question comes down to if the pickup placement and the fingerboard radius is worth the difference.
  7. Ben Rose

Ben Rose

Jan 12, 2004
    I'm not sure about the MIJ 75 reissue, but a new DJ4 should be around $1050-1100.
  8. See this really annoys me about basses, if i were to buy a lakland over here in the UK ive found the DJ4 for £1020 which is ok but compared to the $1100 over there in the US that about £600!! why cant they sell it over here for that price!! *tut* ah well.

Is there a noticable difference in sound to MIA to the MIJ i would imagine the slight difference in the pickup placement would make a difference??
  9. Ben Rose

Ben Rose

Jan 12, 2004
    With the UDS worth about .52 British Pounds, I'm surprised at that price. Is that the list price or street price?
  10. toad

Jun 26, 2002
    IMO, if you sit in a quiet room and A/B it with both pups turned up, yes, you might hear the difference in the pickup placement. But once you consider band situation, EQ, strings, amp, etc., I don't think it's anything that can't be compensated for. You might not even like the difference.
  11. Ben Rose

Ben Rose

Jan 12, 2004
  12. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    I just picked up a 75 RI MIJ Fender used, as a backup bass. I also wanted a passive bass in the arsenal. Mine's pretty cool. really hot pickups the pre is as loud as my metro (active)! Sound is great with nickle rounds, it does a great Larry Grahm, mutting, I get a passable Jammerson. It's a better bass then my 98 MIA Deluxe Jazz! As far as the difference, I played a bunch of MIA's and they seemed a little tighter (neck joint) but not worth the price difference IMO. If I can offer a suggestion play a bunch, Fenders really vary from bass to bass and one 75 RI might sound great, another one barf. If I was going to spend a grand I would also be looking at the DJ by Lakeland. It does 70's jazz bass real well.
  13. Ill have to sort myself out with a trip to London and play a few Laklands and Fenders and do a comparison between the two then walk away with the one prefer!!

burk48237 - Sweet looking bass
  14. I bought a used 75' RI Jazz MIJ about a year ago and I am very pleased with it. Natural ash body with a maple fretboard and white block inlays. I like the feel of the neck, it is more narrow and thicker than a C-type neck which is on most newer models. P/U's are fine but I am upgrading to Demarzio Model J's for more balls. It is one of my main basses, good for blues and rock. I don't think you would be disappointed with one.
  15. Lewis7789

Sep 17, 2004
    Akron, Ohio USA
    Sales; ClearSonic Mfg.
    What about the MIJ Marcus Miller Signature Fender Jazz? I've got one (my only bass) and I really like it. I bought an American Fender Jazz a couple months ago and sold it because I didn't like it nearly as much as my Japanese Jazz. It's Active and Passive and it's modelled after his 78' Fender Jazz.

Here in the States, I got mine new for $850.

But I agree with a lot of the Fenders vary because of quality control, I just lucked out with a great bass.
  16. I've looked at the MM bass alot over the last year, I've played on quite a few and each one has been a brilliant bass and I am very tempted but... the artist association. I've always thought of signature basses as a "novelty" a bass you by when you've got what you need but you want something. Do you know what I mean. Originally I wanted the American Vintage 1975 RI but it was far too expensive and I wanted white block inlays, then I found the MIJ 75 with white inlays. So i thought id ask peoples opinions on here. The MM is a fine fine bass and probably more for ya money but tis Marcus Millers bass not mine. But we shall see, like I said tis a fine bass and i think id be happy with the sound and feel. My local Sound Control stocks the MM ill have to pay them a visit.

If i did go for the MM is there a way of wiring it up so that when its in passive mode i can use the 2 tone controls?? or at least one tone control like a standard jazz??
  17. steve_man

May 15, 2002
    You may want to check out this site.

I remember a while ago guys importing mij's straight from japan (ibashi) and giving the them a whole wack of mods.
    I'm not sure how much it costed in the long run (after shipping, mods, etc.) but I'm sure someone around here can tell you. I think I remember a few guys coming away with a deal and a good looker to boot. :)

I haven't played any DJ's but I have played a couple mij's including a 75 RI. They are great basses!

Also I've found that the pickup placement plays a huge role in my tone! I've played a couple of lakland JOs and fenders. Most of them had 60's j bass pickup positioning. There's not as much growl or bite as I find in basses with 70's pickup positioning (j pickup closer to the bridge). 60's sound more woolly.
  18. eldave777

May 24, 2005
    I work for a Fender dealer and I can tell you the MIJ reissue '75 is very cool. It's well worth the money saved to get one and throw a set of Lindy Fralins in it and maybe if your really cool a Leo Quan Bad Ass II.
  19. Thats great!! I think i've found ma bass check this baby out http://www.ishibashi.co.jp/webshop/guitar/fender-j/kanda/jb75fbd.htm looking very very sexy indeed!!