'75 Musicmaster PUP replacment (humbucking?)

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by explodingPSYCH, Nov 29, 2018.

1. explodingPSYCH

explodingPSYCH

May 7, 2009
    I'm looking for a replacement PUP for my Musicmaster. My bass has always had a Dimarzio Willpower pickup in it ( Will PowerTM Neck | DiMarzio ) but I think that's too loud and a little muddy for my Labella flats. It's also microphonic to the body and picks up my strap moving.

I'm looking at the Lindy Franlin Split Blades ( Lindy Fralin Split Blade Guitar Pickups - Noiseless Vintage to Modern Tone ) as well as the Sentell B48 ( Sentell Pickups bass guitar pickups )

On paper I'd probably just go with the Lindy Fralin, since it's basically a strat-like pickup and will likely get me closer to the original stock tone, but the modern look doesn't really fit the very aged look of my bass.

Suggestions?

2. sikamikanico

sikamikanico

Mar 17, 2004
    Maybe a split SCPB (51 P) pickup? Fralin's is well-regarded, but Nordstrand also makes one. I'm sure there are others...

Then again, I assume you already have a big hole from the Will Power. You might fit other "vintage" looking pickups in there, like P or Mustang pickups... or am I missing something? Is the Will Power placed at the neck, in addition to the Musicmaster pickup?

3. explodingPSYCH

explodingPSYCH

May 7, 2009
    The body has been routed to fit the Dimarzio in place of where the stock pick up goes. It's about 11/32" deep. Not sure what standard depth is.

The concern with pickup shape is having to custom cut the pickguard I have to get for it. It would be easiest to just get a stock pickguard and have something that fits it. Though for the right pickup I can get the pickguard cut to match.

Here are some pictures:

Attached Files:

4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 15, 2021