Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

75 P-bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Coutts_is_god, Dec 29, 2003.

1. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    Hi I'm new. I've been playing for closer to 2 years. I'm Okay, I play a squire P-bass. I know.

Anyway My friends dad is selling his 75 fender P-bass. He wants me to buy cause he knows I'll never put it down. But he's selling it for $2 000 Canadian:spit: .Is that alot or is it just me?

2. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Unless the exchange rates have gotten out of hand, I'd say that is way too much. Admittedly 70s P basses have gone through the roof, but still you should be able to find a 75 for around US$1000.

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Just a bit on the high side. Crazy Canadians!!! :p

4. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Too pricey. If you realy wanted a P bass you could get a used American for $600 -700.

5. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Correct.

6. Exactly!

Here's one going for $1099.00 USD.

The pup has been replaced though.

He does have some nice Vintage Fender basses though!

http://www.williesguitars.com/Pages/Bass.html

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Treena

7. rumblethump

rumblethump Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    Also be aware that period of mid to late 70 P basses are some of the heaviest ever made. My shoulder hurts just thinking about them.

8. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    Yeah I like heavier basses. Some newer ones I've played feel like little toys.

9. Willie's is quite the shop, Treena...lots of beautiful vintage guitars and basses.

10. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    Yeah, me and my friend are going to go to willies sometime soon, i've never been there, and it's like 15 min. away...

11. It's at Cleveland & St. Clair. Bring lots of money and something to wipe the drool off your chin!

12. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Then you'll like my Sheehanized P...tipped the scale last night at just under 11 lbs.

13. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    I just don't get it. I turn 40 this year and have had chronic back problems since my kids were born, but a heavy bass never bothered me unless it was also poorly balanced or bulky. In fact, the Godin A4 (hollowbody and light) I used to own would kill my back playing it standing up. I loved that bass, but could only play it sitting down.

Now my favorite bass is my 10 lb Lakland. A heavy bass is fine as long as it hangs properly.

What pisses me off is that I didn't buy a 70's P a year ago when people couldn't give them away. Now they prices have shot through the roof.

14. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I'll second that. I found a natural/maple '77 that I absolutely fell in love with, saw $700 on the price tag then two weeks later came back with the money and it had sold. I left with my Stingray instead, but I still wish that other guy didn't buy the bass!

15. laffman

laffman

Jul 28, 2003
    Eastpointe, MI
    Been playing my '76 P-Bass since '89. It's been Sheehanized. It was a sunburst, but took what was left of the finish off because I wore the finish down to the wood. The back of the neck is worn down to the wood also. I wouldn't let it go for less than $2000.00 US. Last offer I got was $1900.00. I won't sell it. Won't play it live anymore, just weights too much compared to my Yamaha Attitudes. It tips the scales at 14 lbs. But the sound is unbeatable in the studio.