1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

75 Precision tuners

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by burpgun, Oct 23, 2018.

1. burpgun

burpgun

Jun 29, 2015
    Hey all. I've got a 1975 P bass with all original parts, best as I know. I've always wondered about the tuners: They are not bright shiny chrome, but are more like nickel or something. And it's not just the tuners--all the metal parts on the headstock involving the tuners and the string retainer are all dull silver and not even close the shiny chrome I associate with tuners. This is purely an issue of satisfying my curiosity, but does anyone know what's going on here? Thanks.

2. Sid the Kid

Sid the Kid Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2013
    Illinois
    Oxidation will do this to tuners over time. The old owner(s) probably didn’t polish their fingerprints off of the tuners like my pappy would have.

Enjoy the patina.

3. I believe they're nickel plated instead of chrome.

4. burpgun

burpgun

Jun 29, 2015
    I do indeed like how they look (I've had this bass for 25 years) but since the dullness is even over all the parts of the tuners and string tree, including the plates on the back of the neck, I thought that might be how they came back in the day. The only reference I have is that Fender sells 70s style tuners, and they're chrome.

5. Sid the Kid

Sid the Kid Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2013
    Illinois
    Ah, I see. I only recall them using shiny chrome as well. Sounds like your bass is nicely seasoned! :thumbsup:

6. Correct , it was mid 1976 before they switched to chrome platting, any fender bass before that was stock with nickel platted. 1977 on you can see they have chrome tuners and A nickel string tree for A bit before that became chrome to.

4sight and Sid the Kid like this.