1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

'75 Reissue Jazz Bass or American Deluxe Jazz Bass or Marcus Miller Jazz Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Krinkle5, Apr 1, 2006.

1. Krinkle5

Krinkle5

Feb 16, 2006
    which of these would be a better choice? I dont have too much experience wuth jazz basses but I am currently looking for one let me know thanks!:help:

2. adrian garcia

adrian garcia In Memoriam

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    i would say it largely depends on how much flexibility you require.
    A '75 J bass is passive, 2 volumes and one tone control, probably heavier than and am dlx- the have those super cool block inlays and binding

the Marcus is a lot like a 70's J bass, but it has a 2 band eq.. personally, i was disappointed in the ones i tried, the tone didn't do it for me, but that's just me - i am not too keen on the big pickguard, either.

the Am deluxe, to me , is one of the best sounding basses around, period.
    To me, it has a nice fat tone that works in most situations, a flexible 3 band eq, probably the lightest of the 3 and no ugly pickguard- i can get the Marcus sound easier from the am dlx than i can from the MM sig
    just my humble, mostly worthless opinion ! ;)

3. largo

largo

Nov 19, 2004
    I agree with Adrian.
    I've never played a MM jazz but owned an original '75 jazz and an AM Dlx jazz and the Am Dlx was a superb bass.

In my opinion, the 75 jazz just didn't do it for me and I prefer a blend and master volume option rather than 2 volume controls, hence the reason I got rid of it.

Go for the Am Dlx, you won't be dissapointed.

4. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Adrian response was a great one, I own all three basses and here's my take.
    1) MIA 75RI jazz, great passive bass, awesome for the thump and pop funk stuff. Usefull for all styles. Mine is about 9 pounds

2)MIA dlx jazz, Very versatile bass with tons of tonal possibilties. Smaller body with a longer neck so the balance is a tad different. The newer 18volt pre with SCN pups is "THE BOMB"!

3)Marcus Miller bass having a two band pre which is all boost imho would take 3rd in this race, It is a nice bass but to me seems to be the less usefull for all types of music than the other two. The MM is a bright sounding bass that could use a preamp makeover (preamp is the week point in this bass) It is hard to make this bass sound like anything besides what it is!

5. Stox

Stox

Mar 18, 2005
    London UK
    I pretty much echo whats been said already. I found the pre on Marcus Miller a bit harsh and brittle sounding. The 75 is nice, but passive and I prefer active. The MIA Deluxe is a brilliant, versatile bass, you will not regret getting one of these babies. Also the Deluxe has 22 frets which you'll we need to play some of Marcus Millers toons, (I know he appears to play his Fender 70's bass almost exclusively but some of his stuff was recorded with Sadowskys).

6. +1

My 2 cents though... LOL, I own a MIJ 75' RI and it weights at least 11lbs. It weighs more than my buddy's 6 string warwick... no lie! But ooh, the tone... I like old school tone and old school basses.

If your not into that then the MIA Delx. may be your ticket, its hawt... great sounding and playing bass, preamp is great, pickups are even better. I love the feel of the neck plus unlike the other 2 basses on the docket, this one is graph. reinforced and its got a 5th bolt in the body for greater support, did I mention that is has a string through bridge/body feature too? The body is smaller and lighter and it the upper horn is cutout more for better upper fret access as another TB mentioned. I'm sorry fellows, I guess I really like this bass! :hyper:

All things considered though, the Delx. is the best bass IMO out of all 3, the marcus sig. really isn't a re-creation of marcus' 77', its a cheap ripoff... if you what a more truer sig. get a Geddy Lee! The RI is hawt and I love it, but if I had the Delx. and the RI... the RI would be put on the backburner bigtime!

thats my $10.02... thank you! :D

7. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    I looked at all three basses in question and ended up with the '75 RI.

8. That's what I found when I was looking for Jazz basses, the MM is bright, bright, bright. If you fancy any kind of deep thump, you might be better off with the Am Deluxe. I haven't played the 75 RI, but the Deluxe was the best of the two I tried. It has noiseless pickups (that's a big bonus in my book) and a versatile EQ. I can see myself using it for a whole host of applications, whearas the MM might only be good for that Marcus Miller slap sound. I could be wrong though.

My American Deluxe gets here some time in the next two weeks, I just can't wait!

9. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    The SCN pups sound even better than the "noiseless" pups imho, the sound even more vintage with a mellower on the highend! I own a Victor Bailey with "noiseless pups" and an FMT V with SCN pups, while the VB is one funky as hell jazz bass the FMT V has a more refined sound to them thanks to the Bill Lawrence (Roscoe Beck RB5 fame) SCN pups.

As for the bro with the 75RI MIJ bass I think these basses and the MIA counter part are the same in name only. The MIJ version has Vintage pups in it while the MIA bass has vintage 75 pups in them. The mij version also uses a different type of ash (think Marcus Miller bass and why some say they are heavy). The MIJ version also has the rear pup in the wrong place (1/4 inch closer to the other pup. You will also notice MIJ natural bodies are more than two pieces, and some not matched as well as thier MIA counterparts. When it comes to these two basses you do get what you pay for!

10. i just went through this too.

I ended up with the '75 RI. I like that its passive (if i want to mess with EQ controls, i have them on my amp). The MM sounded to thin too me. The '75 is the most expensive out of the 3 buts that just mean's it will resell for more. I got mine 2 days ago and I LOVE IT. IT's a great bass, awesome quality and tone for days.

11. How close are they supposed to be from each other? My body on mine is great... one whole piece and the finish is superb as well 3-color sunburst. Mine is 15yrs old, its a great bass. Why would fender build a RI bass and it did not have 75 pickups in them? The only thing on my bass I haven't seen it has that the org. has is the pickupcover holes, it has the holes drilled in the pickguard but it doesn't go into the wood.

Whats the deal... I have a MIJ RI and it doesn't have the same features and pickups as the MIA version is that what you are getting at? If thats the case then poop, I still love my bass but it is food for thought! :crying:

Anyone else have anything else to add or enlighten me on this one?

Thanks,

12. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    Agreed.

13. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    If Marcus is doing his tunes and other atrist tunes with his 77 Jazz bass that has 20 frets,then why would you need 22 frets ? what tunes were recorded with the Sadowsky,and if so was he playing up on the 21st and 22nd fret on these tunes ?........ just asking !

14. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    First of all the MIA 75RI jazz as well as the MIJ geddy Lee's bridge pup is 1/4 inch closer to the bridge than other jazz basses, The MIJ 75RI bass has the pups in the same position as the 60's and 80's jazz basses! Fender "premium" ash bodies are at least two pieces carefully matched to blend in together, none are one piece especially sunburst body's where caps were used. As far as the MIJ having the same pups as the MIA 75RI bass they don't, go to the Japan site and you will see they have MIA "vintage" pups while the MIA bass has these.
    http://www.guitarpartsresource.com/bass_pickupsfenderjazz.htm

As far as Fender building the MIJ bass and saying it's a 75RI it makes marketing sense to make a copy of a more expensive bass using cheaper less expensive parts. It's a more affordable alternative, the downside is the rear pup in the wrong place for a 75 jazz bass, neck binding not covering fret ends and the USA vintage pups. If your bass is all you want it to be that's all that matters, My post was not meant to diss anyone that's not my style. I was just making light of the differences between the two basses.

15. I don't know where you get your resources from but I have carefully checked my bass, and on both the top and the back it is one complete piece of wood, the grain even matches on the other side perfectly! If you would like I can take pic's to prove it, it is the "same" piece of wood on both top and bottom. Now as for the pickup spacing I will have to measure that, but the two piece body comment is incorrect in my case.

I have a L serial number MIJ bass, that means it was made in 91' or 92' maybe... just maybe basses where made a little different back then by fender japan. The whole pickup thing I can buy but that is the current 75' RI models too and even if you take a closer look at the spec's on fender japan's website they all have Leo Quan Bad A$$ bridges too, whats so vintage about that? To me that is apparent they have went astray from where they once was.

Just my thoughts on that, anyone else have any comments/insight on this... Sorry guys for highjacking this thread, if it is any consolation to ya... we are all learning about the MIJ 75' Re-Issues! :D

16. Navybass

Navybass

Mar 12, 2005
    Norfolk, Va.
    You do know that the bridge pickup IS supposed to be closer to the bridge on a 70's Jazz bass.

In the early 70's (71 or 72) CBS Fender moved the bridge pickup closer to the bridge. In about 84 or 85, they moved the pickup back to the original position.

So, that being said, the Geddy Lee and 75 reissue have the bridge pickup in the correct position for that era, even the Marcus Miller reissue has the pickup closer to the bridge, being that it's modeled after a 77 jazz bass.

This info was taken from The Fender Bass, An Illustrated History book.

17. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Yes, all above stated is true as this has been posted previously. what we are talking about here is the MIJ 75RI bass NOT being a true 75RI due to bridge pup placement!

18. Navybass

Navybass

Mar 12, 2005
    Norfolk, Va.

Is it further away from the bridge? That kind of sucks if it is.

19. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    That´s interesting. I´ve owned a MIJ 75 RI and really enjoyed it (I guess setup had a lot to do with it). Never realized about the pickup placement. I never had the chance to play the MIA version.

Thanks for the info.